Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Golden Retrievers

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM
  • 119 Replies
We decided to get the kids a puppy when we finally move and will have our own space. And a fenced in yard is a must. Its going to be several months before we find a place and move but I want to get myself extra prepared for it.
So anyone got some tips tricks or advice?
Best dog food?
Best way to keep them from getting stinky while.outside?
How to potty train?
A retriever is a big dog but will be a baby to us all, so inside or outside?
Do the shed pretty bad?

Also I'd really like to get each kid a puppy a boy and a girl. Should they come from the same litter? What do I look for.in a good breeder?

How much would you spend on buying a golden retriever?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Anyone?
General dog help is welcome lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Regular grooming is the only way to destink them. Lol Especially if yours is anything like the big golden moose laying on the end of my bed right now. She thinks she is a piggy and will roll in mud if she is unsupervised and has the opportunity. Lol

Start training as soon as you get the puppy, they are smart and loyal as can be, but that energy can be used for evil if they get bored. I know our vet said to keep extra long walks saved for after a year because they are prone to hip trouble and too much running/jumping can cause joint development issues.

Soph sheds, but it's pretty easy to control with a weekly brushing and she LOVES being brushed. She is primarily an inside dog, but will choose to spend a night outside here and there in the fall. As far as food anything that doesn't list corn in he few 3 or 4 ingredients is good. Anything that does will make them eat and poop more.

Good luck. Sophie has ruined me for all other dogs I think, since she's my big beautiful baby girl. Lol I don't know how many times I have told dh that I never wanted a golden retriever, but now I don't know if I'll want anything else. Lol

We adopted Sophie, but I beleive her original price was $275. She is pure bred, papered, etc. From an excellent bloodline from both her mom and dad. I guess she was cheaper than usual because the owners of the male paid to have their dog impregnate Soph's mom so they could pick one male puppy because their dog was getting pretty old. The breeder lowered the price because it was a 9 pup litter and was rehoming them as pets and not ahow dogs or something. Anyway we took her in because she was given as a bday gift and the person who bought her didnt think to ask if the person receiving her even wanted a dog.

Personally I would pay up to $350, but only with a responsible breeder and I would want to see the puppies and such for myslef before agreeing to anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:32 AM

INSIDE.

NoahandEliza
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
The only thing I can say for sure is to put cedar chips in it's dog house if you keep it/them outside. Cuts down on the smell and helps with fleas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Taste of the Wild is good food,  dogs should always be indoor dogs if they are to be part of the family,  Retrievers shed like there is no tomorrow.  Regular baths and good food will help with smell.  I would not buy a retriever they are sooo overbred you really dont know what you are getting.  I also would neer have a puppy with kids that too much work, too much unknown about what kind of dog they will be, I would go to a rescue they usually know about the dogs and can tell you which one would suit your family best. 

army_wifey_06
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM
My aunt and uncle have always has golden retrievers and they are amazing dogs! They shed quite a bit but not more than any of the dogs we have had. We have a 3 year old yellow lab and she is the best!!! She's so great with my kids and very well behaved. The boys can leave toys on the floor and food on the counter and we can leave the house and she won't touch a thing.
SodiumPentathol
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Contact the american golden retriever club. they are the akc breed parent club and are your best resource to find a good breeder. a quality pup can cost upwards of $1000. and don't go into dog ownership intending to treat your dog like a person, dogs are dogs. it's ok to love and spoil them, but they still need to be treatwd likr dogs.
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Aww I've done a lot of research into the best kid friendly dogs and goldens just stood out to me. I love the temperament and I've always wanted one since shadow lol.

I'm glad to hear about keeping walks short. I have never heard that before.
What type of shampoo do you use for yours? I think I can see making dh give our a bath and grooming once every 4-5 days. Sweaty stinky dog smell makes me gag lol we had a pit and Jesus that dog always stunk

Its been several years since we have had a dog and we miss the companionship and my kids are asking for one

Quoting kfroz0415:

Regular grooming is the only way to destink them. Lol Especially if yours is anything like the big golden moose laying on the end of my bed right now. She thinks she is a piggy and will roll in mud if she is unsupervised and has the opportunity. Lol

Start training as soon as you get the puppy, they are smart and loyal as can be, but that energy can be used for evil if they get bored. I know our vet said to keep extra long walks saved for after a year because they are prone to hip trouble and too much running/jumping can cause joint development issues.

Soph sheds, but it's pretty easy to control with a weekly brushing and she LOVES being brushed. She is primarily an inside dog, but will choose to spend a night outside here and there in the fall. As far as food anything that doesn't list corn in he few 3 or 4 ingredients is good. Anything that does will make them eat and poop more.

Good luck. Sophie has ruined me for all other dogs I think, since she's my big beautiful baby girl. Lol I don't know how many times I have told dh that I never wanted a golden retriever, but now I don't know if I'll want anything else. Lol

We adopted Sophie, but I beleive her original price was $275. She is pure bred, papered, etc. From an excellent bloodline from both her mom and dad. I guess she was cheaper than usual because the owners of the male paid to have their dog impregnate Soph's mom so they could pick one male puppy because their dog was getting pretty old. The breeder lowered the price because it was a 9 pup litter and was rehoming them as pets and not ahow dogs or something. Anyway we took her in because she was given as a bday gift and the person who bought her didnt think to ask if the person receiving her even wanted a dog.

Personally I would pay up to $350, but only with a responsible breeder and I would want to see the puppies and such for myslef before agreeing to anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree..puppies are too much work for me with small kids! We adopted our 3 year old yellow lab in October and she's amazing! She was already potty trained and past the chewing stage!

Quoting Lordgodempress:

Taste of the Wild is good food,  dogs should always be indoor dogs if they are to be part of the family,  Retrievers shed like there is no tomorrow.  Regular baths and good food will help with smell.  I would not buy a retriever they are sooo overbred you really dont know what you are getting.  I also would neer have a puppy with kids that too much work, too much unknown about what kind of dog they will be, I would go to a rescue they usually know about the dogs and can tell you which one would suit your family best. 

jupiter5
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM
You should look into golden doodles! They are poodle mixed with folders and they are meant to not shed because poodle hair just keeps growing and doesn't fall out like golden fur, good luck with ur pup(s) plus they are sooo smart
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)