Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ER Trips

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

I saw something earlier today about a woman who called 911 bc her dd was throwing up everywhere and the other moms were saying she shouldn't have called 911. Good or bad, she did what she felt was best...

Has there been a time when you took your LO to the ER and where chastised for it?

When dd was about 13 mo's old I took her to her ped for a regular check up.  no shots or anything. We left his office and got groc and came home.  I had dd in her highchair with some fruit while I put groc away. I happened to look over at her and she was COVERED in hives! I called her ped but at this point it was 4 and he was closing. They told me if she wasn't have breathing difficulties to just give her a bath some byendryl and put her to bed. But if the hives spread or got on her face or anything to go to the ER. So I gave he a bath and laid her down for a bit. When she woke up there was not a spot on her not covered in hives. I packed her up and off to the ER we went. The doctor walks in, looks at dd and says "she's having a reaction, give her this" and handed me a prescription for a steriod and left. Made me feel like a giant idiot for even taking her in there.

When she was about 7 mos old we were out of town visiting my parents and she got this horrible cough. My ped had told me not to give her any cold meds. Just use warm water etc. Well the cough was getting worse and worse and she eventaully started coughing so much she was vomitting. After she vomitted the second time I took her to a clinic, but they wanted paid up front and I did not ahve an extra $150. So they said to take her to the ER. Of course while in the ER dd doesn't cough a single time, and her temp dropped to below 102. The dr. ordered a chest xray just to rule out coup or anything. The tech was giving me all kinds of shit. She said "So you brought your baby to the Er because she was coughing?" I was like NO I brought my 8 month old bc she is running a fever and has been coughing so much she is throwing up. They treated me like I was wasting their time. The doctor just said "give her cough syrup" I told him her ped had told me not to, and he waved his arm in te air and said "she can have some just read the bottle" and walked off.  (I didn't give her any meds. I got an apt with a local ped the next day  and he gave her some meds).

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM

DS was under a year old... i woke up one day to him SCREAMING! i felt him adn he was burning up. took his temp and it was close to 104... i rushed him to the ER cuz i was freaking out! the nurse looked at me, asked if i gave him any meds (benadryl, tylenol- whatever) and i said no... i didnt think 12 months and under could have it! she gave some to him and sent us on our way.

i felt like shit, but damn- he was screaming and burning up.

Lilys_mama1222
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM
I have never been looked down upon for taking my DD to the er..but I also tend to wait til I can take her to see her actual Dr and dds Dr office is through boys town so they have a 24 hour regular clinic... now I have had drs look at me and say absolutely nothing is wrong with her and I turn around and take her to her pediatrician and shes got a sinus infection or bronchitis the worse was phunmoia (sp) (she actually was admitted into the hospital for that one.)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

DS was under a year old... i woke up one day to him SCREAMING! i felt him adn he was burning up. took his temp and it was close to 104... i rushed him to the ER cuz i was freaking out! the nurse looked at me, asked if i gave him any meds (benadryl, tylenol- whatever) and i said no... i didnt think 12 months and under could have it! she gave some to him and sent us on our way.

I probably would have done the same thing. It's so hard esp with your first. ANd in the middle of the night, you're not thinking right. You just see a scary number and panic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Thats horrible DD went to the er with a temp of 106 and they wouldnt let her leave until it was at least 99 and even then they asked me if I was ok taking her home or if I wanted her admitted

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:43 AM

There's no stone or service left unturned for the Medicaid children, that's for sure.

ElitestJen
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM

No.  But it takes an act of Congress to get me in an emergency room.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Probably but I don't give a rats ass what others think about me taking care of my kids and grandkids. I will do what I feel is necessary and IF that includes taking them to the doctor or ER numerous times then so be it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

There's no stone or service left unturned for the Medicaid children, that's for sure.

*sigh* insurance has nothing to do with this post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

This made me laugh because we've done the same thing!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Medicaid is not insurance. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*sigh* insurance has nothing to do with this post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN