Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do You Have A Special Dinner That You Make On New Years Day

Posted by   + Show Post
?
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
DixieL
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:52 AM
Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Pittsburgh tradition is pork roast with sauerkraut and hot dogs with mashed potatoes...it's bad luck not to have pork on New Years!

That's what my mom always said.
horseap
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:54 AM

We usually have a Hodge podge buffet.  Wings meatballs nachos skrimps(lol) all the fun stuff.  We pick all night long play eucher (I KNOW Ill be playing headbands with the kids, best game ever!) hubby will play online for a bit. Have friends over and drink. I cant wait!  =) 

Thewife06
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know this was a thing..... but I had planned on making baked chicken, a salad, and sweet potatoes.

DixieL
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:55 AM
Quoting ibelieveinpink:

No, never thought to make a special New Year's Day dinner... I may have to start a new tradition. :)

According to what I was told growing up, you are supposed to have some kind of pork, like ham or something. Some kind of greens and black eyed peas. It's supposed to be for health, wealth and wisdom.
ibelieveinpink
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:57 AM
Oh, cool. Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be going shopping tomorrow afternoon!

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting ibelieveinpink:

No, never thought to make a special New Year's Day dinner... I may have to start a new tradition. :)

According to what I was told growing up, you are supposed to have some kind of pork, like ham or something. Some kind of greens and black eyed peas. It's supposed to be for health, wealth and wisdom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Sassy762:

Its different every year BUT this year I'm making Roast Pork Loin, Collard Greens, Black Eyed Peas, Stuffed Clams,Stuffed Mushrooms, Corn, Cornbread...thats all I have so far

We always had the pork, collard greens, black eyed peas and corn muffins too. We also had kale mixed with the collard greens and mashed potatoes.
Fallin4baby
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:58 AM
Pork and sauerkraut :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this

No. New Years Eve is Chinese food. We go into town for the afternoon for ice skating on the frog pond and the "family" first night activities. Then on to the chinese restaurant and finally home again for a game, movies, the stooges, sparkling cider and a ball drop :)

Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:28 AM

My dad's birthday is the 30th too. I miss him so he passed in 88. Happy Birthday to you DixieL

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting Mommie2Kailen:

Yes I always have a special dinner and it varies every year. It all depends on what restaurant my husband takes me too because it's my birthday ...

happy

LOL My birthday is the day before New Years Eve on December 30. I don't like to go out, because my husband loves to go out for New Years Eve. I don't like going out two days in a row anymore so I go out for New Years Eve for him. We stay home for my birthday.

goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:30 AM
Smoked apple glazed BBQ ribs,potato salad,collard greens,fish(whitings)carrots!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN