Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having x amount of children based on x amount of income?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies

Hi Ladies,

My DH and I had a difficult discussion this evening. Basically my DH thinks it is irresponsible to have more children unless we make x amount of money.

Do you feel the same way?

Let me ask you this: How much money (x) do you personally think will ensure the best possible life you can give to (y) amount of children? Do you and your DH plan the amount of children you have based on how much income you all make?

Does this make sense? Thanks for replying!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:08 AM

BUMP

Okay, let me put it this way.. do you need to make 6 figures to have two children?

702girly
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I don't think you need to make six figures to responsibly raise two children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:11 AM
Eh, we just sort of winged it. Really. We weren't terribly poor or anything. Both had good jobs, no assistance, etc. We didn't make 6 figures, though. Not then. I say if you are financially stable, and on the path to grow, you are good to go. They don't cost a lot of money right away anyway. It takes years before they really start to bleed you dry...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:11 AM
No dh and I make $65,000-70,000 and do just fine and have two kids
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:12 AM

No, you don't need to make 6 figures to raise 2 kids. DH and I are raising three on around $60k. It's tight at times, but we do it all without financial help. You make it work. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:12 AM
With college prices 6figures would be helpful, but not neccessary. I think that a stable home and food on the table is what's important not the number of figures a parent makes :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:13 AM
I make $40,000 with two kids and do just fine. I'm single.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:14 AM

In my area, 40k a year is plenty to support a family on. My parents made about that much combined and supported 3 kids with no problems.

ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this

This is subjective.

Really, it depends on what kind of life you want to provide.  Did your husband explain why he believes he needs X amount of money?

As far as how much money one needs to raise children, it depends on too many variables.  A child with special needs costs more than one without.  

My husband and I planned our children one at a time with the needs of the previous at the forefront of our considerations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured