Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about Welfare?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
  • 356 Replies
6 moms liked this
Currently I am a sahm, I am not on any kind of assistantance. I stay home because my family can afford for me to stay home. However when I was working (which I did full time for four years straight out of college until I had my daughter) I used to hate the fact that some of my hard earned money had to go to people who chose not to work. I understand that that is not ALWAYS the case, that some people really do need help but if you are on Welfare it is supposed to be a temporary assistance UNTIL you get yourself on your feet. I mean I guess I can't blame anyone, who would want to struggle at a minimum wage job with bad/no benefits, when the government will pay you to stay home.

I just wonder sometimes if there was no government funded welfare if people would make more responsible decisions. Like going to school and waiting to have kids until they could afford them.

I never would want to see children suffer due to a parent not being financially stable but its just a thought I have sometimes.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM
27 moms liked this

Could you imagine what the world would be like without government assistance programs? Could you imagine the increase in crime and homelessness? And the insane increase in unemployment there would be...cutting welfare programs would take away SO MANY jobs. Trust me, it would not make people automatically feel "responsible" for anything.

I get what you're saying, I hate that so much gets taken out of my checks too. But I also know that should we ever need help, I would feel okay about taking the help because I paid into it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM
3 moms liked this
It does seem to be a trend in some families. For example, my step sisters' mom is on welfare, and both of them are now on welfare as adults. My real sister and I both have never been. We all grew up in the same house together.
What I'm trying to say is, I don't think they made the same responsible life choices my sister and I did because they knew they had welfare to fall back on, and they saw how well the system worked for their mother.
-PB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:58 AM
4 moms liked this

I agree with you but I think if there were no welfare you would also see more impoverished children, more abortions, and more child in foster care.  Some people would make smarter decisions but I honestly think it would few and far between.  I think you would end up seeing a greater gap between the wealthy/middle class and the very very poor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:59 AM
4 moms liked this
Im glad its there for those who truly need it, but it doesnt need to be lifestyle.
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:59 AM
4 moms liked this
Ugh why not let the horse rip?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hayleysmom88
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:59 AM
3 moms liked this
I do agree with it being there god forbid something happens to a family where they need assistance for a short period if time. I guess I am just fed up with the amount of people abusing it. It becomes a trend passed down generation to generation as a way of living in some parts of the country. People see nothing wrong with using borrowed money from hard working individuals. I feel like why did I/any of us she'll out thousands of dollars for college and work hard everyday when we all could have sat home popping out kids!? Sorry if that's harsh I just need to rant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:00 AM
11 moms liked this
I'm grateful for the help. I'm grateful my kids have a roof over their heads and food in their bellies and access to medical care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:01 AM
27 moms liked this

Most of your taxes goes toward defense. Very little goes to welfare.

I wonder if the government didn't fund defense, would there be no wars???

AleaKat
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's a big help in a shitty situation but it shouldn't be a lifestyle. You should always strive to be better and not just coast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:02 AM
3 moms liked this
I think it's a great program when used correctly But I think there needs to be an over haul of the current programs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)