Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about Welfare?

Posted by   + Show Post
Currently I am a sahm, I am not on any kind of assistantance. I stay home because my family can afford for me to stay home. However when I was working (which I did full time for four years straight out of college until I had my daughter) I used to hate the fact that some of my hard earned money had to go to people who chose not to work. I understand that that is not ALWAYS the case, that some people really do need help but if you are on Welfare it is supposed to be a temporary assistance UNTIL you get yourself on your feet. I mean I guess I can't blame anyone, who would want to struggle at a minimum wage job with bad/no benefits, when the government will pay you to stay home.

I just wonder sometimes if there was no government funded welfare if people would make more responsible decisions. Like going to school and waiting to have kids until they could afford them.

I never would want to see children suffer due to a parent not being financially stable but its just a thought I have sometimes.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (41-50):
RichMommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
You go momma!

Quoting BigMamaMN:

I was widowed at 23 and decided to go back to school to get a doctorate in chemistry as soon as my kids were old enough to handle a less available mom. I gave up a pretty high-paying job to do this and we get food stamps. I don't feel bad at all because I know that I will eventually contribute much more to society than I ever could have before I went back to school. Even now I work in a lab doing Cystic Fibrosis research between classes (but it only pays $7,000 a year).

I know a few other people who are on assistance, but it's because they're psycho and really shouldn't mix with normal society. One is a schizophrenic crack addict - really, I'd buy her her food with my spare dough just to keep her off the street. Another is my really terrible aunt who is also crazy and gets fired all the time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this
FFS.

I'm more annoyed with talking about welfare than I am with people actually on welfare..
jbirdsladie27
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Because posts like this are what make CM go round & round...
Rather pathetic don't you think?

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Ugh why not let the horse rip?
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
What gets me is that the op really thinks there opinions are super unique and have never been heard before.

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

Because posts like this are what make CM go round & round...

Rather pathetic don't you think?

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Ugh why not let the horse rip?
kidlover2
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Medicaid, foodstamps, etc... also are used for the developmentally disabled. Do you REALLY want to know where so much of the Medicaid fraud comes from?? People who fail to provide, or falsify services provided. And doctors who want the extra buck. "Welfare" will never be obsolete. It's a much needed resource... it's just the humans that take advantage of the government / ie. other people and think it's ok. The problem is not the poor. The problem is the human race. I know wealthy people who steal from taxpayers.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Quoting Anonymous:

Eliminate assistance for families but help pedophiles? Wow.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I know it's a complete necessity as of now. I do think that society as a whole needs to take steps to eliminate the need for these programs, thus virtually eliminating them.

NoahandEliza
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this
Welfare doesn't bother me in the slightest. Even the people that abuse it don't bother me. I would rather be paying for people to scam the system and feeding a few kids who would otherwise starve than I would be all Scrooge-y and not care about anyone. The amount that came out of my check for the 12 years before I was a sahm and the amount that comes out of dh's check isn't even noticed in our house.
kidlover2
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Are you one of those who want to abort everyone with disabilities? Or just stick everyone with a mental illness or disability into an institution and call it good. Because then your comment makes sense. There are millions of people on assistance because they will never be intelligent enough to go to college, they will never be smart enough to have more than a blue collar job. What is your solution for these human beings? They aren't lazy. Most of them work 2X as hard as you ever will.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do so many damn people feel they are entitled to free shit!

Oh, That's right I remember now: Lazy asses!`

christi34
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

People who get welfare in Louisiana are only allowed to get it for a length of time and depending on family size determines the amount received. The mother also have to either be in some type of school, looking for a job, or in one type of job readiness class. There is no more sitting at home on welfare in Louisiana unless you have a medical condition and is documented.

tharealty2
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I think too many people use bad examples (that they really have no REAL foundation for) to generalize the majority of people on assitance.  I think welfare is necessary for some in their current situation, but I also believe it can and often does create dependence bc of the way its set up.  I think there needs to be an overhaul of the system, but I do not think it should be taken away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)