Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about Welfare?

Posted by   + Show Post
Currently I am a sahm, I am not on any kind of assistantance. I stay home because my family can afford for me to stay home. However when I was working (which I did full time for four years straight out of college until I had my daughter) I used to hate the fact that some of my hard earned money had to go to people who chose not to work. I understand that that is not ALWAYS the case, that some people really do need help but if you are on Welfare it is supposed to be a temporary assistance UNTIL you get yourself on your feet. I mean I guess I can't blame anyone, who would want to struggle at a minimum wage job with bad/no benefits, when the government will pay you to stay home.

I just wonder sometimes if there was no government funded welfare if people would make more responsible decisions. Like going to school and waiting to have kids until they could afford them.

I never would want to see children suffer due to a parent not being financially stable but its just a thought I have sometimes.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Eh idk
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:03 AM

totally screwed....while i work full time, dh does not, awaiting SSD...there are NO programs to help families like us, who are now struggling with day to day living expenses..i make $200 over the limit, so we don't qualify for $700/mo in assistance....mind you, this is just until his SSD came thru in about 6mos, and they wouldnt' help us out...now all the years we've spent building our credit will be destroyed within 6mos.  

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM
4 moms liked this
I think there are pros and cons. I think it should be temporary assistance when something unexpected happened, not something people live on and depend on for years and years as many make it seem some do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixsMommy10
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I think when people need it they should use it, while trying to better themselves. It shouldn't be a lifelong thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:06 AM
I don't know a person's story as to why they are on assistance. What may appear on the outside to be laziness may not even be that at all. And the concept of waiting until you can afford kids to have kids? Tell that to mom's in third world countries around the world that they should wait until they can afford to take care of children to have children. And really, who can truly afford to have kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hayleysmom88
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
[quote name="Anonymous" id="0"]

totally screwed....while i work full time, dh does not, awaiting SSD...there are NO programs to help families like us, who are now struggling with day to day living expenses..i make $200 over the limit, so we don't qualify for $700/mo in assistance....mind you, this is just until his SSD came thru in about 6mos, and they wouldnt' help us out...now all the years we've spent building our credit will be destroyed within 6mos.  

[/quote

See and that's what really gets me. People like your family who are barley making ends meet working their butts off to do it can't catch a break!!
Hayleysmom88
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Most of your taxes goes toward defense. Very little goes to welfare.

I wonder if the government didn't fund defense, would there be no wars???

Even if its 40 dollars a month. It's still money you earned working. That adds up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I gotta sit in my comfy chair for this. Someone pass the popcorn
Hayleysmom88
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I gotta sit in my comfy chair for this. Someone pass the popcorn

I like a good debate :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM
It's there and I don't really care because there is nothing I can do about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN