Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about Welfare?

Posted by   + Show Post
Currently I am a sahm, I am not on any kind of assistantance. I stay home because my family can afford for me to stay home. However when I was working (which I did full time for four years straight out of college until I had my daughter) I used to hate the fact that some of my hard earned money had to go to people who chose not to work. I understand that that is not ALWAYS the case, that some people really do need help but if you are on Welfare it is supposed to be a temporary assistance UNTIL you get yourself on your feet. I mean I guess I can't blame anyone, who would want to struggle at a minimum wage job with bad/no benefits, when the government will pay you to stay home.

I just wonder sometimes if there was no government funded welfare if people would make more responsible decisions. Like going to school and waiting to have kids until they could afford them.

I never would want to see children suffer due to a parent not being financially stable but its just a thought I have sometimes.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
RichMommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Agreed. I feel food programs should be more like wic with a list of healthy whole foods you can buy. No boxed or refined foods etc...

Quoting Fields456:

I think it's a great program when used correctly But I think there needs to be an over haul of the current programs

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I know it's a complete necessity as of now. I do think that society as a whole needs to take steps to eliminate the need for these programs, thus virtually eliminating them.
jedwards2009
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the system needs changed. I got fs and WIC after dd was born. I had a job w insurance but due to complications I had to give up my full time spot and go to part time and lost my ins at work. I got denied Medicaid over $200. Ended up having dd without ins. It was crazy. I am insanely grateful for the help we got when we needed it. Our fs ensured that dd ate every day, my ex and I both were able to eat at our jobs. We were on all of that for about a year before we were able tk get better jobs.
It was just so frustrating. I couldn't afford daycare, and with what I was working we made too much for dc assistance, but if I would have quit then we would have gotten help w dc.... We were right on that line where we barely qualified.

I'm glad its there for the people that need it. A lot of people say "go get a job" but once you've spent MONTHS filling out applications and getting nothing back, you know its not always so easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM
8 moms liked this

Until joining cafemom I thought it was the norm to graduate from college, start your career, get married and then have children. I understand that layoffs and illness happen but I have no sympathy for those who make the wrong choices in life.  

seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I think it's great we have those programs buy it does irritate me that some people think it's a lifestyle
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
The people that need it should get it, those that are using the system need to be weeded out.
illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM
4 moms liked this

If we SLOWLY phased out welfare benefits and turned the system into something you could not live on forever, I think society would adapt. The problem is we cannot simply cut it quick and expect people not to fall. We need laws passed saying benefits drop x% per year that you do not have full time student status and your benefits go to 0 after 2 years with no schooling. Likewise, you cannot "restart" your timer by taking 1 semester every 18 months. Your timer never goes away. To account for unemployment, perhaps your timer rebuilds time when you are off the program so you could have a short-term safety net for unemployment protection during layoffs.

That way people could attend school while on welfare. Out of work? Find a job or enroll in school. No more option to sit on your ass. No more sitting home with the kiddos for 5 years because they are young. You go to online classes and work on your degree (for free, on pell grants or your states work initiative program) if you want to be a SAHM.

There has to be a program in place to encourage you to get off welfare and incentives in place to better yourself. If you want to make Subway sandwiches for life as your job, fine, but you have to actually work a second job to survive because life-long welfare is not an option and your benefits will drop to 0.

In all seriousness, if you work part time at Subway and make 10k a year... you pay 15% of your rent at most per month through Section 8 housing, your electric and heat are covered, in Illinois you have a government cell phone, 650 a month in food stamps for you and your kids, free health care... then 6000 in EIC credit. With NO EXPENSES. Why would someone want to dig themselves out when they pull in 15000 a year with no expenses and everything given to them? There has to be an incentive to better yourself.

Hayleysmom88
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
For people like you, who need it for the time being, it is a wonderful program. I would not mind paying into it for families using it for the right reasons and getting off it once your able too. However the issue that I'm brining up is those who have no future plan to better themselves, who plan to stay on welfare for the long term. I just feel it is very selfish for those people to feel like they have the right to get assistance and that we as working Americans owe this debt to them. You said you were working, which means you were paying into the money you received, there is nothing wrong with using resources that you pay into if you absolutely need it.

This was supposed to be a quote to jedwards I don't know what happened
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:43 AM

we have health insurance through the government. You know what gets me? If so much was not taken out of our checks, we could afford to pay for health insurance! Same with daycare. We used to get daycare assistance, but we now have family that watch our kids for free. But if so much was not taken out, we could have made it work and paid for it. 

ETA- they could get a lot of people off PA if under a certain income level they just did not take money out for that stuff. 

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

In theory, government assistance is a good thing for those who need it.  I just hate seeing people abuse it.  Honestly I think the poor farm system should be resurected.  The people were fed, housed and earned a little money to help improve their situations.  Seems like a much better use of government resources, imo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)