Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about Welfare?

Posted by   + Show Post
Currently I am a sahm, I am not on any kind of assistantance. I stay home because my family can afford for me to stay home. However when I was working (which I did full time for four years straight out of college until I had my daughter) I used to hate the fact that some of my hard earned money had to go to people who chose not to work. I understand that that is not ALWAYS the case, that some people really do need help but if you are on Welfare it is supposed to be a temporary assistance UNTIL you get yourself on your feet. I mean I guess I can't blame anyone, who would want to struggle at a minimum wage job with bad/no benefits, when the government will pay you to stay home.

I just wonder sometimes if there was no government funded welfare if people would make more responsible decisions. Like going to school and waiting to have kids until they could afford them.

I never would want to see children suffer due to a parent not being financially stable but its just a thought I have sometimes.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (301-310):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting Charliebaby79:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Charliebaby79:

Take away the government assistance and we go back to the conditions that led to the start of the welfare program: people starving to death, dying from exposure from the elements and subject to the cruel treatment of high society, since the poor were not considered people.

And this is a bad thing?  It's called "Survival of the Fittest".  Personally, I don't think it would be a bad thing to weed out those who fail to contribute to society. 

Yes, this would be a bad thing. What you fail to realize is it's not just the adults who would suffer; it's the children who would suffer more. So I guess it's perfectly okay to penalize the children for the sins of the parents, because the welfare has to go to the adult responsible for the welfare of the child. Is it the child's fault if the parents/guardians would rather sit at home and not work?

And what about those who can't find work? I myself was on welfare at one point in my life; I was unemployed for five years. Not because I wanted to sit on my ass with my hand out, but because there was no job I could get at the time. Most jobs were too far away for someone without a car and don't even go there with the "go to McDonald's and flip burgers," because it's a weak argument. People kill me acting like McDonald's is passing out jobs like TicTacs. There are people right now who have been unemployed for weeks, months, even years and most of these people have children. Would you rather go back to the old way of doing things, when poor parents had to surrender their children to an orphanage or convent? How did that help? It didn't.

People contribute to society in their own ways. It's easy to assume that a welfare recipient is lazy and don't want to work because that confirms your own beliefs. It has always been my understanding that the ones to judge and criticize welfare most likely never received it in their lives and have no idea what they're talking about, how the system really works and the process involved and how it makes recipients feel. No one knows everyone's situation, so it's no one's place to judge and tell someone else what they ought to be doing. Not having a job affects people psychologically as well as financially. Society has spun such a negative view of charity, assistance and help, that people actually think it's better to starve than to accept a handout and that is the stupidest ish I've ever heard. If you can find a job, great. If you need the help, then take it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people suffer dire consequences because of their pride and the shame attached to welfare and government assistance. It is there for a reason. Some people can bounce back faster than others. Jobs aren't easy to get and they have become even harder to keep in this day and age. Welfare, food stamps, Medicaid (Medi-Cal for California), Section 8 housing, unemployment, Social Security/SSI. Medicare, food pantries, shelters, social services and referral services are all put into plae to help people, regardless of the reason behind their struggle and irrespective of motive. For some people, welfare is something reliable and dependable, more so than a job.

Most SAHMs or even SAHDs are able to stay home because there is a breadwinnner who can afford them the luxury of being able to. Most who stay at home aren't doing it by choice, but out of necessity or circumstances beyond their control. Welfare comes from taxes, true, but so do many of the other services we all enjoy. Does that mean people who don't work shouldn't enjoy the benefits of the school systems, the protection of the police, equal protection under the law, the beauty of the parks and the services of the libraries? Should there be a database of those who receive welfare to get a special ID that blocks their access to everything paid for by taxes? Should we force people on welfare to wear a scarlet letter "W" when in public? What purpose would that serve?

I know, speaking for myself, without welfare, I would have been lost long ago and my children probably would have starved to death. I say do the right thing and help people and quit worrying about their intentions and motives and what you think they should or ought to be doing for themselves.

To answer your questions, yes, I think children should be sent to orphanges and/or convents.  And yes, if there were a way for these people NOT to enjoy the benefits allowed to them by the taxpaying public, I think that would be great.  Ship them all to dormatories/jails in Alaska for all I care.  A scarlet W on their foreheads?  No, I would make it black.  And you say to do the right thing and help people. Well if that's what you want to do, and you have the resources and can afford to do so, then you should have the freedom to do so, just as I should have the freedom not to.  My tax dollars are being WASTED, basically thrown in the trash every time a food stamp card is replinished.   I don't think you understand that I DON'T CARE about you or your children.  I am responsible for my OWN children and you should do what it takes to be responsible for yours, not sit around trying to figure out ways to get your hand in my pocket.  Be a productive member of society. 

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Then you clearly don't care about the children, and rather punishing the parents. Do you have ANY idea how children are treated in group homes?

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Quoting briansmommy2010:

No, there is always adoption. The needs of your children should come before your wants ALWAYS.

Also. I believe a lot of "unplanned" pregnancies don't really come as a huge surprise. I mean you have to be pretty simple to screw up the directions to using a condom. If you don't want kids you don't have them. It's that simple. Why would you even chance getting pregnant by using faulty bc methods? People just don't think.

It's such a bad excuse to say oh I am just not smart enough to go to school, I'm also not smart enough to keep myself from reproducing. Because if that's the case your to stupid and irresponsible to have children, it's not fair to them and they should be taken away. I'd rather pay taxes towards an orfinage than give money to idiots so they can raise these poor kids to become idiots too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM
First of all, unemployment is hardly "free" money, considering we pay into it, and our employers do as well.

Second of all, he still HAS his job, he is only laid off for the winter. He also has a start date.

Third of all, it would be foolish for me to take a job at walmart. My unemployment benefits will be MORE than what I could make at walmart.

If (and this is a big if here) we need supplemental food stamps until I get back to work), you don't have to worry about your taxes sweetie. I paid more in taxes in the last year than the amount of temporary assistance we may need.

As far as college, my brother was making 6 figures at 25 years old, without a college degree.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

[quote name="briansmommy2010" id="0"][/

Well to each his own I guess. Yes I do think people who don't try to better themselves at every opportunity are lazy. It isn't for everyone because not everyone is motivated to do the work they'd rather work dead end jobs with no chance for improvement. Then when they get laid off they cry about it because they don't have the background credentials to find another job somewhere else.

It's a shame both you and your husband got laid off, I'm sure Walmart or McDonald's is hiring....but the free money you collect is much more than you'd earn there right? So why bother.

Sorry if you disagree with what I say, sorry if it makes you angry. Just look on the bright side, it's the first of the month!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Quoting theresaphilly:

If is there for those who truly needs it, but should not be a crutch for the remainder of your life. I have family members that have been on PA for over fifteen years and that is much too long.

15 yrs is outrageous.  I have that in my family too, but it is SSI abuse.  He was approved for it many years ago (over 20) at a time I believe they were most likely giving it out to everyone.  His "disability" is he is "afraid of people".  Well, I had social issues as a child and my mom gave me a quick, swift kick in the ass and would NOT let me destroy my life over it.  Instead, he went from a drug/alcohol life to living off the dole. He is invited to many family occasions and cannot go because he is "afraid".  WTF, I call it BS though. He never worked long enough to ever contribute to what he and is bi bolar x girlfriend took(she is on it too because she is bi polar, yet I know people who work with bi polar). My friends brother is 50 and has been living on it forever, he is a drug addict.  Instead of tossing these losers to the curb, because they do NOT want to help themselves, he is provided with housing and food.  BULLSHIT, it is time to put them all somewhere else.  They do NOT want to even try.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Quoting takethat2:

it pisses me off that people sit and judge a situation without knowing whats really going on.....i am unfortunately on welfare now and its not by choice...i was married for 26 yrs until my hubby left for a client. he was very clever in planning this divorce for over a yr and i did not question his motives for doing most of what he did which was to screw me over really bad...so now after getting a small divorce settlement and being unable to work find myself on welfare. Since i have health issues i applied for a disability pension but since i was mostly a sahm for more than 27 yrs and did not contribute to pension plan am unable to get a disability pension so my last resort is welfare and les than part time jobs....every time i have to go to the dentist or doctors and show that welfare slip a piece of me dies, for this was not how i planned to live. since my health problems for the moment are not visibly apparent people assume i am just too lazy to work...i am not lazy and i wish people would stop assuming the worsts of others.

not sure how much u get on welfare in the states but here in canada u dont get very much and most people have to work under the table to make ends meat...so they may n ot be lazy after all

that was a long term marriage.  Here in the states you would be entitled to alimony  and depending on his income, and nice chunk of it. Hope things get better for you.  Things happen, I would not say you were abusive like others on here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I learned about proper birth control use as a teen and guess what, it worked!! LOL  I did not have a baby until I stopped using it , so I say BS on all of these BC failures.  I was on birth control for about 13 yrs before I had a baby.   Having a child before you can afford it is neglectful and poor planning. You do not deserve welfare for that.

juliagirl
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I have a couple friends who are on assistance.  If you ask me, living under those conditions are WAY MORE DIFFICULT than working normal hours.  They have other reasons for staying home.  I have actually received some kind of benefit of 40 dollars a month or something like that for who knows what, but my god, I can't WAIT to get back to work!!  I have a high risk pregnancy and a few other health issues.  I usually take meds for the 'other' issues and work through them, but I can't take my normal meds with this pregnancy.  I have to say, I MIGHT have envied the sahm before this, but I'm going crazy here at home and just fantisize all day about fitting into my work suits and the social side of work.  Sahm life just isn't for me, subsudized or not.  I can't imagine it being a fun choice for anyone if youre incircumstances which tell you how and when to spend money.  And very little money at that!!!  I went through my parents ugly divorce at a young age and the 'system' did not work for my mother, nor can I imagine it 'working' for me.  I love my freedom to spend as I choose too much.  I can't imagine any woman in her right mind wanting to give that up.  And of course there are still university loans to pay off.  If this had been my plan, I would have nixed the years of expensive study and gone straight for the good times pre-motherhood.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Bumping just for fun.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know a person's story as to why they are on assistance. What may appear on the outside to be laziness may not even be that at all. And the concept of waiting until you can afford kids to have kids? Tell that to mom's in third world countries around the world that they should wait until they can afford to take care of children to have children. And really, who can truly afford to have kids.

hmm, third world countries should be supplied with birth control.  I guess I am one of the few on here that actually had a child when I could afford it.   I suppose I just made better choices. No one should have children if they are on PA

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of your taxes goes toward defense. Very little goes to welfare.

I wonder if the government didn't fund defense, would there be no wars???

21% goes to welfare. That is NOT Insignificent.  60 billion to food stamps-another 55 billion to EIC....those are the 2 biggies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured