Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about Welfare?

Posted by   + Show Post
Currently I am a sahm, I am not on any kind of assistantance. I stay home because my family can afford for me to stay home. However when I was working (which I did full time for four years straight out of college until I had my daughter) I used to hate the fact that some of my hard earned money had to go to people who chose not to work. I understand that that is not ALWAYS the case, that some people really do need help but if you are on Welfare it is supposed to be a temporary assistance UNTIL you get yourself on your feet. I mean I guess I can't blame anyone, who would want to struggle at a minimum wage job with bad/no benefits, when the government will pay you to stay home.

I just wonder sometimes if there was no government funded welfare if people would make more responsible decisions. Like going to school and waiting to have kids until they could afford them.

I never would want to see children suffer due to a parent not being financially stable but its just a thought I have sometimes.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this

My take on welfare is this.

It was put in place to help families that came onto tough times.  To give them a little help while they get themselves back on their feet.  I think that as long as it is used this way then I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with someone using it for years and years without looking for a way off of it.  To use it when they could get a job but just do not want to.  That I believe is abusing the system.  There should be a cut off date like unemployment.  You should only be allowed to have assistance for so many months and then have to be off it for some length of time before reapplying.  

I have been on PA in the past.  My husband was laid off and to be able to continue to pay our mortgage and feed our kids we went on foodstamps.  I went right back to work when he got laid off but my income compared to what we used to bring in wasn't much.  But as soon as he returned to work I called up and told them to end my benefits.  It helped us through a tough time.

rebeccadac
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM

You and I are on the same page!! I worked in social work before I became a SAHM and got to see people who were on assistance for the right reasons and some who were definately abusing the system! I am of the belief that it is there to give you a hand up and after 5 years (hopefully before) you should be cut off annd let somebody else be assisted.  During that 5 years maybe the family should be asked to take classes that benefit them in bettering themselfs financiall;y whatever that may be

BigMamaMN
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I was widowed at 23 and decided to go back to school to get a doctorate in chemistry as soon as my kids were old enough to handle a less available mom. I gave up a pretty high-paying job to do this and we get food stamps. I don't feel bad at all because I know that I will eventually contribute much more to society than I ever could have before I went back to school. Even now I work in a lab doing Cystic Fibrosis research between classes (but it only pays $7,000 a year).

I know a few other people who are on assistance, but it's because they're psycho and really shouldn't mix with normal society. One is a schizophrenic crack addict - really, I'd buy her her food with my spare dough just to keep her off the street. Another is my really terrible aunt who is also crazy and gets fired all the time.

lovegrandbaby
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

While I agree some people abuse the system, I feel it is necessary.  What irritates me is when you have two people working, and they can't make it - they go to Social Services for assistance and make $50/month too much and can't get it.  Then someone gets out of jail and gets assistance the same day.  What is wrong with that picture?  I saw this happen in our fine state of New York when I took my best friend to the local office.  She left in tears.  It's disgusting. 

Personally, I think if more people helped each other out without expecting money, without the "you owe me now" attitude, this world would be in a better place.  I just don't get the attitude of some  - I have a niece with a teaching degree that hasn't been able to find a job.  She works at a bank - so no, a college degree isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Even with a degree, there are alot of people without work, or only getting minimum wage.  Unless you are a greedy business owner, doctor, lawyer, politician - you basically get no where in life because they are the ones that control everything.  They can charge whatever they want, and if you can't afford it - too bad.  They can pay whatever they want to the "little guy" and not give benefits.  I wish I had a major piece of property that I could have a huge garden, extra housing space, small clothing area - just to help people that needed it.  We could trade off working, child care, etc. and it would be a win win situation

Diamepphyre
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  That's why we have so many who get themselves pregnant in high school - hey, they get food stamps, medicaid, WIC, housing all handed to them on a silver platter and if they keep on having kids they get more money and never have to work a day in their lives.  I agree that we need to cut it back.  Food stamps should be a supplement, not an entire food budget, and they give WAY too much in food stamps to a lot of poeple.  It should be available for a limited time only and should NOT be increased for subsequent children.  We have sex ed, everyone knows where babies come from and if someone can't afford to feed those they already have, theyhave no right to bring more into the world expecting others to pay for them.  I also believe that non-citizens who have never paid taxes in this country should be barred from receiving any kind of government assistance, period. 

AngelRT
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Sometimes people really can't help it and the system really helps those people get back on their feet! Doing away with it would be a terrible idea!

LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this
What part of Illinois do you live in? Where I live, the waiting list for Section 8 is several YEARS long. Those people who work at Subway probably pay more than 15% of their income towards rent, I know low income people who pay upwards of 50% in my area. There is no way for them to dig out in those conditions, that EIC is used to play catch up. They live in perpetual poverty. For most of the welfare families I see around me, it doesn't seem like a great, enjoyable, lifestyle. That being said, I agree with you. Welfare needs a major overhaul, and I feel education is the key to stopping the cycle of welfare iuse and poverty in families.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

If we SLOWLY phased out welfare benefits and turned the system into something you could not live on forever, I think society would adapt. The problem is we cannot simply cut it quick and expect people not to fall. We need laws passed saying benefits drop x% per year that you do not have full time student status and your benefits go to 0 after 2 years with no schooling. Likewise, you cannot "restart" your timer by taking 1 semester every 18 months. Your timer never goes away. To account for unemployment, perhaps your timer rebuilds time when you are off the program so you could have a short-term safety net for unemployment protection during layoffs.

That way people could attend school while on welfare. Out of work? Find a job or enroll in school. No more option to sit on your ass. No more sitting home with the kiddos for 5 years because they are young. You go to online classes and work on your degree (for free, on pell grants or your states work initiative program) if you want to be a SAHM.

There has to be a program in place to encourage you to get off welfare and incentives in place to better yourself. If you want to make Subway sandwiches for life as your job, fine, but you have to actually work a second job to survive because life-long welfare is not an option and your benefits will drop to 0.

In all seriousness, if you work part time at Subway and make 10k a year... you pay 15% of your rent at most per month through Section 8 housing, your electric and heat are covered, in Illinois you have a government cell phone, 650 a month in food stamps for you and your kids, free health care... then 6000 in EIC credit. With NO EXPENSES. Why would someone want to dig themselves out when they pull in 15000 a year with no expenses and everything given to them? There has to be an incentive to better yourself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Eliminate assistance for families but help pedophiles? Wow.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I know it's a complete necessity as of now. I do think that society as a whole needs to take steps to eliminate the need for these programs, thus virtually eliminating them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Why do so many damn people feel they are entitled to free shit!

Oh, That's right I remember now: Lazy asses!`

virgochild79
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

When a person simply doesn't try to do anything with their lives and just depend on the government, that's when I have a problem with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured