Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about Welfare?

Posted by   + Show Post
Currently I am a sahm, I am not on any kind of assistantance. I stay home because my family can afford for me to stay home. However when I was working (which I did full time for four years straight out of college until I had my daughter) I used to hate the fact that some of my hard earned money had to go to people who chose not to work. I understand that that is not ALWAYS the case, that some people really do need help but if you are on Welfare it is supposed to be a temporary assistance UNTIL you get yourself on your feet. I mean I guess I can't blame anyone, who would want to struggle at a minimum wage job with bad/no benefits, when the government will pay you to stay home.

I just wonder sometimes if there was no government funded welfare if people would make more responsible decisions. Like going to school and waiting to have kids until they could afford them.

I never would want to see children suffer due to a parent not being financially stable but its just a thought I have sometimes.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (341-350):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I think we should help those who are elderly, disabled, or caring for disabled children. They need help. Mothers who choose not to work because they want to attend school fill time and don't think they should have to work or just want to stay at home should not be allowed to receive PA. They can work bit choose not to. If anyone starves it would be the fault of the parents. I would personally take any job I had to in order to feed my children.

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel like I would be ashamed to live in a country that lets their own starve, however, I feel people have become lazy and complacent. Welfare was not intended for the lazy and complacent. Abusers should be thrown in jail for a minimum of five years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I wouldn't be shocked. I've seen several entitled women on here who think the government should support their children because they don't feel they should have to or life would be too difficult if they worked. I can't imagine being happy not being able to take care of my own children.

Quoting Anonymous:

and who are you to say that we are not going threw hard times right now i can care less what you think because by the end of the day I'm happy with my self and my family one day i will be done with school and have a very good job that i wont need pa help. so until then I'm happy to say YES I GET HELP I GET FOOD STAMPS AND IM NOT ASHAMED  you will be surprised how many other mother on here are on it   don't be to quick to judge you should be bashing on the mothers and families that use it and don't want to change and we have only been getting help for 5 months and were not planing on staying on it for years!!!!!

Fullmoon_Goddes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I understand what you mean. PA is for temporary assistance not long term. I know an entire family who has been on PA for generations. One of their excuses is that the govt will take their income once they make a certain income amount. That's true but repayment is fair in my opinion.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

I do agree with it being there god forbid something happens to a family where they need assistance for a short period if time. I guess I am just fed up with the amount of people abusing it. It becomes a trend passed down generation to generation as a way of living in some parts of the country. People see nothing wrong with using borrowed money from hard working individuals. I feel like why did I/any of us she'll out thousands of dollars for college and work hard everyday when we all could have sat home popping out kids!? Sorry if that's harsh I just need to rant.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I believe we should help others, but not those that take advantage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoacloud
by Angel on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I dont hate welfare what i hate is when people ASSume that welfare recipients just choose to stay at home maybe its hard to find a job in my town theres only military or medical and college is expensive
Anonymous
by Anonymous 64 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM
No, other countries would come and take us over.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of your taxes goes toward defense. Very little goes to welfare.

I wonder if the government didn't fund defense, would there be no wars???

Anonymous
by Anonymous 65 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I feel it should only be a temporary solution but it has become a long term goal for some people. Now, I have a friend from Thailand she says there is no government assistance there and you have to support yourself or have family that can do it support you. She is appalled at what Americans get help with.

How can you blame anyone who wants to be lazy and would rather sit back and not work and BE PROUD? I'm not saying that people who have jobs are lazy and need the extra help but what I am saying is there will always be people who want to sit around all day long, do drugs and sleep and those are the people that shouldn't be on them.

If you have made a choice as a family to stay home to raise the kids then you should have money enough to support them or don't have them.

Give them a time frame to get work, drug test and if they have more than 2 kids you're SOL!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

ok that is you i can care less the day you step in my feet is the day you can judge weather or not I'm supporting my kids so fuck off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM

If the government is providing anything for your family besides an actual paycheck then no you aren't supporting your family.  I don't have to walk in your shoes to figure that out, its common sense.  If you're providing for your family that means you are working to provide everything for them, not relying on the tax payers to pick up the slack.  How sad that you don't care that you can't even take care of your own children.

Quoting Anonymous:

ok that is you i can care less the day you step in my feet is the day you can judge weather or not I'm supporting my kids so fuck off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM

what ever so i guess its wrong to want to go to school for my kids where i live there are no jobs  you cant find a job no one is hiring but they are hiring in the health career field so you no what I'm going to do what i got to do to so my kids will have a good future you can look down on me all you want but in the end im the one going to school for my kids so i can give them everything thing they want and need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)