Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My MIL makes fun of me for stocking up

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 353 Replies
6 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Are you prepared, either financially or with a stock pile, for going over the fiscal cliff?

Options:

Yes, financially it won't be a problem

Yes, I have a stock pile

I'm a little worried

we are screwed, we are barely able to afford stuff as it is

I am not ready, but I am one of your in laws and I think I am going to live off of your stock pile

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 543

View Results

Actually, DH's whole family does but MIL is the ringleader of it. Anytime they see me, it's a running joke with them. I do have a nice stock pile of food. Nothing crazy, it is in a closet that no one uses anyway and it's not like I have spent money I don't have on it, I stay within our food budget. I coupon and shop sales, often finding deals that give me stuff for free, when I find those deals, I stock up. Here is an example of the stuff I have:

close to 100 boxes of cereal, different kinds

40 boxes of chicken/hamburger helper

over 1,000 cans of assorted fruits and veggies

200 jars of various pasta sauces

150 boxes of pasta

60 things of fruit cups (4 in each)

50 bags of dried beans

26 jars of peanut butter

15 jars of jelly

300 cans of tuna

300 cans of canned chicken

50 cans of powdered milk

several cases of diapers (I have a kid in diapers)

10 cases of baby wipes

well over 1,000 rolls of toilet paper

various cleaning supplies

Plus I have a deep freezer that I have recently filled with cheeses, frozen milk, yogurt and all kinds of dairy stuff.

There is more but you get the idea, I'm seriously stocked and these are things that I got for free or paid only pennies on the dollar for.

I do it because if I can get it for free today, why pay for more of it next week. Also, we are probably going over the fiscal cliff so I am glad that we have this stock pile because if we do, the price of everything is going to go up. Of course I will have to buy some stuff  but if we can ate mostly what is in the stock pile, I won't have to get much so the  groceries going up in price shouldn't hurt us.

Anyway, after all of the making fun of me, I am sure DH's family will be running over here asking for stuff when the price of food gets high *eye roll* They are in for a huge shock

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:08 AM
7 moms liked this

they will come to an agreement, they always do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm not worried at all and no I did not stock pile.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

They may, and I hope they do because I know a lot of families that this will devastate if they don't. To be clear, I didn't stock up specifically for this, I stock up on things when I can get them for free, then for the next while, I don't have to buy that item anymore because we already have it.

Quoting Anonymous:

they will come to an agreement, they always do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM
6 moms liked this

dooms day prepper much?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM

nope we would be screwed....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this

I stock up beause I worry about power outages and such. I am not worried about a fiscal cliff. If anything I don't think that growing and canning your own is a bad idea. We are redoing our house so that if our power were to go out for days we an still stay warm and cook and such.We just have to live off of flashlights at night. Other than that everything on gas. We have a house we plan on renting and buying another afterwards. I just hope we an rent it out to someone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL this isn't just for this, I have been doing it for a while now, since I coupon and shop sales, I get a 3 month to 1 year supply of stuff I can get for free, why not?

Quoting Anonymous:

dooms day prepper much?

blessed107
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM

No, not stock piling anything.

audreesmama
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM
18 moms liked this

I'm not worried...I don't stockpile and my family would never go through that much food before it expired. 200 jars of pasta sauce? 40 boxes of HB Helper? Yuck! I would much rather pay more for healthier options. In the end, even if you're saving money with your bank account, your health is paying the price. For our family that is NOT a good trade off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

great if you have the room for it....

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL this isn't just for this, I have been doing it for a while now, since I coupon and shop sales, I get a 3 month to 1 year supply of stuff I can get for free, why not?

Quoting Anonymous:

dooms day prepper much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)