Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Brisket recipes you care to share?
I have a huge brisket and I don't want to have to go to the store for marinade so I was thinking a dry rub would be AAAAMAAAAAZING!!
I just don't want to go in there and throw stuff together sooo...
Anyone got any good rub recipes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
indyb
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I don't have any that come to mind but allrecipe.com should have some good ones I always find lots of good ideas there!

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I haven't found anything that looks good for a brisket. :-/

Quoting kdgord:

I don't have any but I always use allrecipes.com to find new, good recipes.

MonkeyMommyNJ
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

i boiled it to make it soft.. then i sauteed it.. idk ive never done anything with briskett before.. i did it how i would have done a pot roast.. of course i let the water cook down after the 5 hours.. and i did add a little of what ever gravy was left from the slow cooking into the skillet after shredding..lol.. my friend who is a chef came home with this huge slab of cow.. i was like WTF am i supposed to do with that.. so i wortked it the best way i knew how.. there were only 5 of us.. that shit fed us for a month before it got freezer burned

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

Roast, yes. I would never put a brisket in a pot of water, though. Your recipe makes me sad :(

Quoting MonkeyMommyNJ:

the only time i have ever cooked brisket.. i cut about 1/4th off of the thing.. (i was only feeding 4 adults and 1 child.. i was given the briskett.. i never would have bought it) .. and threw it in a large pot with water, vinegar, red wine, 4 packets of sazon, adobo, onion powder, salt, pepper, fresh onion (1 1/2 diced) Fresh garlic (4 cloves) fresh cilantro (1/4 cup minced) 1/2 cup worchestershire sauce, and a little cayenne pepper. .. I let it simmer for about 5 hours... then pulled drained and pulled the meat apart.. shredded it completely, threw it in the skillett with fresh cut red, orange, yellow peppers, red onion, 3 table spoons of recaito, 6 olives and 3 table spoons of olive juice, a few more sprigs of fresh cilantro, 1 lime juiced, and a little additional seasoning to taste (adobo, sazon, onion powder, salt).. sauteed everything till the peppers were slightly soft but still a little crispy... served over white rice

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM
The whole point of a brisket is to cook it in a smoker or oven very low and slow. You put it with the fat up and either rub it down or marinade it. The fat glazes the brisket and puts a crust on it that is soooooo good! It's a different flavor and texture than roast because it comes from a different area of the cow.
There's only Dh, ds and I here so it'll last quite a while. It's HUGE, our Sunday school teacher and his wife gave it to us last week and I started thawing it out yesterday. I made one before but I marinaded it for 24+ hours and I don't have time for that now. :(

Quoting MonkeyMommyNJ:

i boiled it to make it soft.. then i sauteed it.. idk ive never done anything with briskett before.. i did it how i would have done a pot roast.. of course i let the water cook down after the 5 hours.. and i did add a little of what ever gravy was left from the slow cooking into the skillet after shredding..lol.. my friend who is a chef came home with this huge slab of cow.. i was like WTF am i supposed to do with that.. so i wortked it the best way i knew how.. there were only 5 of us.. that shit fed us for a month before it got freezer burned

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

Roast, yes. I would never put a brisket in a pot of water, though. Your recipe makes me sad :(

Quoting MonkeyMommyNJ:

the only time i have ever cooked brisket.. i cut about 1/4th off of the thing.. (i was only feeding 4 adults and 1 child.. i was given the briskett.. i never would have bought it) .. and threw it in a large pot with water, vinegar, red wine, 4 packets of sazon, adobo, onion powder, salt, pepper, fresh onion (1 1/2 diced) Fresh garlic (4 cloves) fresh cilantro (1/4 cup minced) 1/2 cup worchestershire sauce, and a little cayenne pepper. .. I let it simmer for about 5 hours... then pulled drained and pulled the meat apart.. shredded it completely, threw it in the skillett with fresh cut red, orange, yellow peppers, red onion, 3 table spoons of recaito, 6 olives and 3 table spoons of olive juice, a few more sprigs of fresh cilantro, 1 lime juiced, and a little additional seasoning to taste (adobo, sazon, onion powder, salt).. sauteed everything till the peppers were slightly soft but still a little crispy... served over white rice

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I looked. Nothing "popped" to me.
I'll have to look again, or I'll see if my brother knows of a recipe. He's a BBQ king lol

Quoting indyb:

I don't have any that come to mind but allrecipe.com should have some good ones I always find lots of good ideas there!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM
My husband makes an awesome dry rub wit chili powder, dried mustard, brown sugar, kosher salt, and garlic. I'm not sure what measurements though. I'm sorry in no help.
kdgord
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM
you could also try food.com and foodnetwork.com, oh and the cooking channel website(can't remember the exact url).

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

I haven't found anything that looks good for a brisket. :-/

Quoting kdgord:

I don't have any but I always use allrecipes.com to find new, good recipes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Found this

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/Rub_Recipes_Recipes_for_all_kinds_of_rubs_for_all_kinds_of_meats.htm

It has a Brisket Brown Suga Rub
risaspieces
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I always do a rub of brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and onion powder. My dad does the same and about halfway through cooking he pours coke and coffee over it.
MonkeyMommyNJ
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

if i ever come across another briskett ill try slow cooking it in the oven.. im a city dweller.. so no room for a bbq or a slow cooker.. i dont even have a back yard.. i do however have tomatoes, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, basil & cilantro growing in a garden box i made for my kitchen.. we bought grow lights from home depot...i will be starting a lettuce garden rack after taxes.. apartment city living.. you make it work.. i always grew up with a back yard.. i HAVE to have a garden no matter what

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

The whole point of a brisket is to cook it in a smoker or oven very low and slow. You put it with the fat up and either rub it down or marinade it. The fat glazes the brisket and puts a crust on it that is soooooo good! It's a different flavor and texture than roast because it comes from a different area of the cow.
There's only Dh, ds and I here so it'll last quite a while. It's HUGE, our Sunday school teacher and his wife gave it to us last week and I started thawing it out yesterday. I made one before but I marinaded it for 24+ hours and I don't have time for that now. :(

Quoting MonkeyMommyNJ:

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

Quoting MonkeyMommyNJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)