Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh. I remember why I hate doing this.

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have really long hair, like down to the middle of my back, around the bra strap area.

So a few months back, I was on a Private Practice binge and decided to dye my hair as red as Addison's. I touched it up once, and haven't done anything since.

I got my hair trimmed the other day and the hair dresser reccommended either bleaching out the red and recoloring it more natural or going dark brown. I decided to go dark brown, all on my lonesome.

I'm sitting here processing the color and am vowing to never do this by myself again. It took 2 bottles of dye, which I had expected. I made a humongous mess, all over me and the bathroom. Long hair whipped around and made streaks across my face, neck and back. Grrr. I got it all cleaned up with shampoo, but now I'm dreading how long it will take to rinse it all out. I'll probably clear out the hot water tank just to get it all.

From here on out it will be either the job of a friend or a pro. I'm not doing it solo again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katie, proud wife of a railroader, and a future mother-to-be! 

I only reply if I've been quoted, or I happen to look and see a response. So, if you want to discuss with me, please quote me. :) Thank-you and good day!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Next time have a friend help,it would help with the mess and u won't risk missing spots.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheNorCalGal
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Awww I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah, that sounds like it would be a mess. What's the matter with the color tho? Too dark?

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:05 PM

My hair is longer than yours and I've been dyeing it myself for years now.  Never had that much of a mess LOL.

Denecia
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I hate to tell you this but it will probably have red still in it. I have to bleach the red out of mine because nothing would cover it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samantha_McKay
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting Diamepphyre:

My hair is longer than yours and I've been dyeing it myself for years now.  Never had that much of a mess LOL.

katiew2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The grow-out looked mousey and my few greys have multiplied to more greys... So I decided to color it again.

I know the brown won't completely get rid of the red, but it will blend it in with the rest of the hair, since I did the whole thing.

I don't think I missed any spots; I used a wide toothed shower comb to help distribute the color evenly after I rubbed it in.

I think part of why I made such a mess was 1. very small bathroom. 2. my hands, particularly my left had, cramp a lot from my MS. My hand was giving me grief as I squeezed the bottle. Normally I put my head upside down over the tub as I rub in the solution. Helps me get the length, and the tub is easiest to clean. Today though, I didn't. Again, the MS sometimes causes an electric shock to go down my spine if I tilt my head like that, so I didn't do it today, since I noticed it earlier.

Oh well. I think my dh would agree to let me get it done professionally every couple of months. I wouldn't mind the pampering. He'd likely say I don't do enough for myself as it is. lol

kris0921
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I normally help my friends, but I dont dye my hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I tried to put bright red in by myself once....didn't work out well, I had red streaks and spots in my hair! I'll never do it myself again! Hope your brown turns out even and looks good. :) GL

katiew2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM

My natural color is that dirty dishwater color. It used to be golden blonde and then I hit 20. I've been dyeing it off and on since.

But yea, next time I'll have help. lol

Quoting kris0921:

I normally help my friends, but I dont dye my hair.

I only reply if I've been quoted, or I happen to look and see a response. So, if you want to discuss with me, please quote me. :) Thank-you and good day!

katiew2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks. I think it will be ok from what I see while it's wet. I have to go dry it now and get ready for work. lol

Quoting robyann:

I tried to put bright red in by myself once....didn't work out well, I had red streaks and spots in my hair! I'll never do it myself again! Hope your brown turns out even and looks good. :) GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)