Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Welfare - what I don't understand

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have never understood the posts complaining about people who stay home and live off of welfare. I mean I understand that there are people who do it, but I don't understand how that even works for them.

I had PA once when dh and I needed the extra help after getting out of the military and moving back home. But it was quite a lot of work to even be on PA.

To stay home you had to have a child under the age of 12 months. If you did not, you had to be at the job center a minimum of 30 hours a week and activly putting up profiles and applications on major websites. You had to meet with someone once a week and attend job classes once a month.

They had a daycare in the job center so that you could bring your children while you were using their computers etc.

Granted this was all for quallifying for the cash assistance. I know that the food stamps were just a qualifying thing for income level. However, the cash assistance was not enough to cover rent. I still had to come up with nearly $200 a month on top of it to cover my rent (and our rent was pretty cheap already). Then I had to come up with enough for my utils, gas, diapers, and other non food items.

I can only assume that this is something thats totally different depending on the state?

If you are on PA and stay home, how does that even work for you? Do you have to be in Section 8 housing to get by? We were on a waiting list, but the list was several months out and by the time our names came up we had already managed to get off of PA.

I mean I knew people that were on disability and had PA, but they didn't really get by all that well either. Most still had to hit up food banks or have thri church help with the heating bill in the winter time.

I know that this probably makes me sound stupid, I just don't get how people get away with being on PA and staying home all the time. I always thought you had to be diabled for that to work. (Though I know plenty of people who are 'diabled' that really are not all that bad off medically speaking.) 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
x2monstersx
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I don't know either!!  They actually make the process of getting it such a PIA!!  I had it once but every 2 months, I had to again, get copies of everything...pay stubs, bills, landlord stuff, etc and send it in.  Sometimes I had to make the 30 min trip to go sit and talk with them too.  I tried again recently but they 'lost' my paperwork and after calling 100x waiting an hour each time just to talk to someone, I mailed everything once again, for them to say me and DH would have to go talk to them....but he can't take off work, so I gave up.  Will have to scrape by until I find a good job :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:01 PM

In my state you are required to do volunteer hours for welfare. I faciliate these programs with a non-profit. If you miss even 25 minutes, your assistance gets cut for the next month..sometimes a little, sometimes half, sometimes all of it. I don't get how people get to stay at home alllllll the time.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I don't get it either. I don't see  how living on PA is living high on the hog unless somewhere you are getting it illegally or fraudently. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Quoting x2monstersx:

I don't know either!!  They actually make the process of getting it such a PIA!!  I had it once but every 2 months, I had to again, get copies of everything...pay stubs, bills, landlord stuff, etc and send it in.  Sometimes I had to make the 30 min trip to go sit and talk with them too.  I tried again recently but they 'lost' my paperwork and after calling 100x waiting an hour each time just to talk to someone, I mailed everything once again, for them to say me and DH would have to go talk to them....but he can't take off work, so I gave up.  Will have to scrape by until I find a good job :/

Yeah we had to both go when we had it. And we had to be there by 7am even if the appointment was for later in the morning. I'll tell you, lazy was the last thing I felt when I was on PA.

I hope you get a good job and things get better! 

x2monstersx
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting x2monstersx:

Yeah we had to both go when we had it. And we had to be there by 7am even if the appointment was for later in the morning. I'll tell you, lazy was the last thing I felt when I was on PA.

I hope you get a good job and things get better! 

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM

several years ago we applied for fs and i had to attend a class on how to use. And during the class they talked about cash assistance and what was required. If i received it i would have to do basically same thing you. but i never needed cash assistance so i didn't have to go thru all that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:18 PM
If you don't get cash you don't have to do all that.
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Only one parent has to put in those 40 hours.

ElitestJen
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I guess they're ok with having nothing and teaching their kids nothing.

It is not how I would live my life.  I deserve better.  

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

My  aunts never had ot do any of that????  I did a job training program  Istill could not find a job... I finally  found work on my own,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)