Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you go through your teens things?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 96 Replies
If your 15-18 year old has given you no indication that something is wrong would you still feel the need to go through their things? As in you don't suspect any drug or alcohol use, their grades are good, their attitude is normal, they aren't sneaking out. Etc.

What would you go through? phone/iPod?
diary?
mail/email?
Dresser drawers?

Why or why not?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abernathyvanna
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Mine aren't that old yet.

dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM
HELL NO! Total invasion of privacy. I didn't like it when my mom did it to me and I won't do it to them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Thinking toward the future, would go through their things?

Quoting abernathyvanna:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM
No. My kids are people too and deserve privacy and respect.
FL2AK
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM
5 moms liked this
Yes and we do. We pay the bills and they follow by our rules. They have known that we have access to their phones, computers and rooms since they were really little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Why do you do that? I'm not being snarky, I just want to know why some people do that. Do you think you could catch something before it happens? Prevent problems?

Quoting FL2AK:

Yes and we do. We pay the bills and they follow by our rules. They have known that we have access to their phones, computers and rooms since they were really little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abernathyvanna
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM

If they gave me a reason to, yes I would.. But I wouldn't just snoop. I would have them right there with me when I did it and I would go through anything and everything that I felt necessary... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thinking toward the future, would go through their things?

Quoting abernathyvanna:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I absolutely would go through their things. They know when they get a new gadget, that I have the right to go through it at any time. As far as journals go, my ds is 13 and he writes most of his thoughts down. It's his way of communicating with us about uncomfortable topics. He generally leaves it sitting out when he wants us to read it. I don't know about other parents, but my reasons for "invading their privacy" is to make sure they're ok. A lot of kids going through depression or other issues, will post about such issues in an email, post, note, etc... It's my job as a parent to make sure there's nothing I'm missing. I was a teenager once, so I know that they can act one way, but be thinking/doing other things that you wouldn't expect. I always want to be on top of things.
NBean311
by Chivette on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured