Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i might of cost myself my job

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

on December 6th i had a congenital nevus removed from my scalp and a skin & tissue graft taken from my neck/collar bone area put in it's place. the general surgeon cleared my return to work starting December 27th(stitches came out the 20th) my first day back was today. well as i was preforming my normal duties and around 9:15 - 9:30am i started to feel some slight stinging and what feels like a light discharge from the surgical site. i go into the ladies rooms to check it and (as it turns out) to change the gauze pad. well as it turns out the back end of the area had "popped" open and was for the lack of a better word was oozing a unknown substance/blood mix. i honestly thought i was alone on that side of the ladies room(it is double sided) well as it turns out my HR lady was also in there. not 5 min later i was paged to her office and handed  General Leave Of Absence paper work and told that " I was a liability to the company due to the condition of my head and that i could finish the day but i will be taken off of the schedule tomorrow and everyday there after until the doctor even thought she cleared you to return it is not good enough and she will have to do so again this time with the guarantee that you will not bleed from the site again"

under the gloa my job is not protected so when i am released to return i might not have a job to return to. even thought i was gone from a medical reason. i do not qualify for fmla because i did not work 1250 hrs this past calender year

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Binkys_Buttons
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM
What do you do for work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:15 PM

That sucks, but I agree with the HR lady. 

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

What do you do for work?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I work in the utility department at a travel plaza on the new york state thruway

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

What do you do for work?

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

but wounds need time to heal... and I think she needs to get laid

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

That sucks.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I would make sure that the doctor puts in writing that this was an unforseen complication and that you were not bleeding on your last check up. I would also make sure your supervisor knows that you did not know you were bleeding...that is why you were in the ladies room. Good luck. I know it sucks.

PixiePurple
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

What a bitch.  What if you weren't bleeding from your incision site, and from somewhere else from an injury.  There is no way that she would have treated you the same way.

KyrinM
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I do believe you should still be protected & I would double check the FMLA stuff, I ended up on a two week leave due to a serious abcess at my job when I had only been there for 3 months, then a month after that my DD also had one & was hospitalized, I did not lose my job & FMLA protected me both times.  So I would seriously question that.  Also, the fluid is likely to be seroma, it is simply serum & a little blood from the healing incision, I had it with my surgery in August, it is normal part of healing with some incisions & is not predictable, mine didn't start leaking until about 3 weeks in, which sounds about the same as you.  Not your fault, doc couldn't have known either.  So if they try to fire you, fight!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

It was in my release to return to work papers that it was not bleeding at my latest post op visit and i was find to return. and i told her that i was not aware of it bleeding until i looked at it in the mirror in the ladies room

Quoting tossed:

I would make sure that the doctor puts in writing that this was an unforseen complication and that you were not bleeding on your last check up. I would also make sure your supervisor knows that you did not know you were bleeding...that is why you were in the ladies room. Good luck. I know it sucks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)