Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking with alcohol ... help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

I have a dessert recipe that calls for alcohol , three tablespoons. However, I only want the taste of the drink and not the alcohol. Anyone know if boiling it would do the trick?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

What kind of dessert?  What kind of alcohol?  How big is the recipe?  If the dessert has to be cooked, then the alcohol will burn off anyway.  If it is something mild, like a liqour, three tablespoons is probably just enough to only give it flavor anyway.  If the recipe makes a lot, but only uses three tablespoons, it'll only be enough for flavor.  Depending on the type of alcohol, you could even get a bottle of LorAnn Flavor Oils to simply flavor it.  They carry many different flavors such as amaretto, brandy, butter rum, champagne, creme de menthe, irish cream, grand marnier, and pina coloda.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:57 AM
It would've to boil for a long time. But yes, eventually the alcohol evaporates.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:59 AM

The boiling point of ethanol is lower than the boiling point of water, so it evaporates when cooked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Your suppose to burn it off so to speak. Look up how long, cause I am not sure. Lol I made a rum cake one year, it was delish! But the kids kept falling asleep after eating a piece lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)