Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hair dying virgin!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 17 Replies
Yes, I admit it. I have never dyed or even highlighted my hair before. I have helped out others, but never my own head. That being said, I'm looking for some pointers, brands to get or stay away from. Major do's or don'ts. New year, lots of big changes coming up, wanna start it with a bang.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I just dyed my hair for the first time!!

Don't be extreme, make sure it complements you and your hair.

Go to someone you trust. I went to a friend of mine and got highlights. I loved the result!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fabulous24
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I get my hair professionally done weekly. So here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I do my hair myself. I stick with either reds or browns. Although I did do black on time. I did a highlighting kit myself. I go to sallys and the women there have always been extremely helpful and make sure I get all the supplies I need.
crissydancer05
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I have brunette hair, and thinking of some dark red sort of color. Im reduced to a walmart unless I drive an hr away. What else do I need besides the coloring kit?

Quoting Anonymous:

I do my hair myself. I stick with either reds or browns. Although I did do black on time. I did a highlighting kit myself. I go to sallys and the women there have always been extremely helpful and make sure I get all the supplies I need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamasgirl524
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Yay I just died mine for the first time and I love it!!! It was supposed to be brown but my red shined thru so it's just darker red. Good luck!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Put vasoline on your ears, and your forehead to keep the dye from staining your skin. Also make sure you have an old towel to dry your hair after and an old "dye" shirt as I call it.

Quoting crissydancer05:

I have brunette hair, and thinking of some dark red sort of color. Im reduced to a walmart unless I drive an hr away. What else do I need besides the coloring kit?

Quoting Anonymous:

crissydancer05
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM
i never heard that bout vasoline, but it makes sense. Thanks for the reminder on the old shirt and towel.

Quoting Anonymous:

Put vasoline on your ears, and your forehead to keep the dye from staining your skin. Also make sure you have an old towel to dry your hair after and an old "dye" shirt as I call it.

Quoting crissydancer05:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AF2011
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I've had my hair done over 30 times. horrible i know but i don't do my own hair. i go to a pro. so that's my tip.

Jers.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The kits come with gloves, mixing bottle, etc.  Just get a an old towel to dry your hair with, an old shirt to wear and a damp cloth to clean up any drips quckly.  Use conditioner or vaseline around your hairline and your ears to keep dye from staining your face. 

Since it's your first time dying your hair, you may want to get a temp instead of permanent dye

winkyloafer
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM
For boxed color, apply from the roots to near the tip. At the last five minutes of processing, pull the color (glove your hands) through to the tips. Don't be stingy with the conditioner as it closes the cuticle to lock in the color and prevent damaging the strand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)