Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making Friends is Like Dating

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

I was complaining today to my DF that I don't have any female friends (other than my mom, and my best friend who lives 2.5 hours away), to come over and watch chick flicks with me today.

His advice: Friendship is like dating. Start courting a female friend. Ask some of the girls I know from high school (Ugh... no. That was too too long ago, and I was never accepted by them as a teenager, why would I want to try that now?!) and from my old job. Take them to lunch, invite them over, ect.

I just feel AWKWARD though.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? Anyone else with they had a girlfriend to hang out with and watch chick flicks while the kids played or to run errands with? Anyone else have a hard time making friends?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I don't have any friends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

i dont have any friends either to do anything with..they are all happily married and they love to be home with their family..and i dont blame them at all for that..but i would love to have some friends that likes to take a break every now and then and do something..

ResplendentVers
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Im generally happy to be with my DF also, but we like to go to dinner and stuff, and would love another couple to hang out with, and I would love someone to call up and say "Hey, I'm bored. Wanna watch a movie or go run errands?". I just cant seem to make more than casual friends that I talk to only in groups or whatnot. Maybe I'm just... abnormal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Do you and your friend 2.5 miles away ever make halfway trips to go have lunch, shop, or hangout?  That would be so fun once a month or so.  A fun get away and you get your friend fill without your husband...and not so far away.  

I think your husband is right though.  You might have to initiate it.  

skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I'm in kinda the same boat (( I only have a few friends but we are all busy)). Personally I like being alone though I do wish I had someone to watch a movie with ;(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hailey51207
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I never had any female friends either except for one that I grew up with and we are still close. Now I had alot guy friends, I was also a tomboy growing up too. Now when I started college I became close with 3 girls that we consider Best Friends. I had one friend come and then go because of our differences. I'm very lucky and happy of the total of 4 best girl friends I have because they are the sweetest, funniest friends. I know I could call them anytime if I was in trouble or needed anything. Hell one friends car was something that sould not have been on the roads and one of our friends actually bought her a used car! The used car was actually my old car lol that I was selling. But still not many friends do that for another. One of them offered me money to pay for something. It is hard to find good girl friends and it is kind of like dating lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I wouldn't be able to function without my bestie. We do a weekly grocery and errand trip together. Our kids play together while we chat and we get together when the kids are in bed to sip wine and chill.

We also did most of our Christmas shopping together this year. She's awesome!
ResplendentVers
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Not really. I mean, sometimes, yeah... but, sadly, she's kind of that one friend that you have from ages and ages ago, but you're not really sure why you're still friends because you're totally different. Plus she refuses to work, and I end up footing the bill. Which gets old, ya know?

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you and your friend 2.5 miles away ever make halfway trips to go have lunch, shop, or hangout?  That would be so fun once a month or so.  A fun get away and you get your friend fill without your husband...and not so far away.  

I think your husband is right though.  You might have to initiate it.  

ResplendentVers
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

See... that's what I want. I mean, I do that stuff with my mom, which is awesome... but, sometimes I wish that it was with a FRIEND, not just my mom.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't be able to function without my bestie. We do a weekly grocery and errand trip together. Our kids play together while we chat and we get together when the kids are in bed to sip wine and chill.

We also did most of our Christmas shopping together this year. She's awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)