Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you don't like this country, leave!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 103 Replies
20 moms liked this
Every time I see or hear this statement, I imagine a chest thump and a grunt following it.

Realists can see the flaws in the US. Only in recognizing those flaws can we ever hope to better ourselves.

Mindless patriotism has never served anyone well, and often serves to make those in the US look woefully ignorant about the rest of the world.

Did you know that we're outranked, by several countries, in education, quality of life, health care, and economy?

We do have the largest military budget in the world, but what good is that when we're slipping farther and farther behind in so many areas.

Most of our people speak only one language, and some even balk at the idea of learning another. That is something unheard of in the rest of the world.

Too many are insulated from the rest of the world and have become apathetic about anything that doesn't have to do with 'Merica.

Next time someone bring up the flaws of this country, it's better to listen and strive for change, than it is to beat them about the head with a flag while grunting about their need to leave.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Mommavieve
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
'Murcuh!

Maybe if we ignore the problems they'll go away.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I agree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I know this country has flaws, but fyi so do many other countries.

Most countries teach English as a second language bc many other countries speak English & it is a must.  China doesn't typically teach French or Spanish, it is English.  That is why the know a 2nd language, for business purposes bc it isn't just the US that speaks English.

Anyway, while this country has it's flaws that doesn't mean you should go around & bash it.  There is a way to do it respectfully.  When not done respectfully that is when things like "if you don't like it leave" come out.

I am a military wife, the military has many flaws but I won't sit there "I hate it, it sucks, it is ridiculous, blah blah blah" bc I believe in respect.

I have conversations about the flaws of this country, but again, the discussion is done in a respectful way.

When you can't be respectful don't expect other's to be respectful.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM
DFs brother is in the Canadian military and he sai (not sure if its true) that the American military only learns one skill so if they get shot down the rest are screwed. Where a the Canadian military learns all the skills.
I live in Canada and I am often astounded at how horrible the American education system is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I understand what you are saying OP. 

In my opinion, with the US, it's to the point where my vote just doesn't count anymore and it's time to leave.  If people want what they are voting for (even though I don't think the majority of the people know what they are voting for), then we would be better off, living elsewhere. 

With the current tax structure, small business and indepedent contractors are basically penalized for existing.   I refuse to continute to work to support the outrageous spending habit of the federal government, nor do I feel it's my job to support the expansion of generational poverty or the mass of  teens playing house at my expense.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

i agree

puertoricangeek
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I completely understand what you are saying but you aren't playing devils advocate well enough. Why do all of these other countries learn english? We are the youngest country, it does take some damn time. I do agree that we have a lot of "ol' heads" that make it hard for this country to progress but us as Americans also don't use all of the rights that we have. You have to see every side of the situation. 

The world is not Black and White, there is a Grey area!

Jynnifer292
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I do what I can to try to change what is wrong. There is so much wrong, so much corruption and greed in our goverment and big corporations, it seems impossible to ever make it better. I have had morons tell me to leave if I don't like it. No thanks, this is my home, I am going to try to make it better any way I can. In order to do that, people need to HEAR what needs to be changed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Very well said!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)