Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People with anxiety. Sorry, long...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
So, I came upon an article about anxiety problems and through some of the symptoms I realized I was having a lot of the same problems. While a child I was always panicked always afraid of something. Paranoid something was going to happen. But I just kind of attributed that to some of the things that had happened during my childhood. I then went to college and was playing softball on scholarship. I had never had problems until the middle of my freshman year. Specially during workouts and practices, I would start to lose my vision, face would go numb an the numbness would move through my entire body. The down to my legs. i would then become just Exhausted and wanted to sleep. And then a would get terrible migraine. They ran every test they possibly could think of running. Everything was negative.
I then just stopped telling people it was happening because I felt ridiculous because I had no answer as to what was happening. Whatever is happening even effected my schooling. I would take tests and freak out and panic and just cry. I ended up giving up on school because I felt so stupid for not doing well on tests. And I was never able to ask for help because I was so worried about sounding like a moron because I might not understand what they were saying.
I'm now 23, married, with one child. It still happens from time to time. But now I'm noticing I become filled with fear at random times or when I do something specific. Like driving through intersections when my light is green, I have such a hard time being calm. My heart starts beating quickly and I just get so scared. I find myself just so overwhelmed sometimes over nothing that I start to tear up. Like if the room is dark I'll start to feel very panicked and have to turn on every light to try and make the room as bright as possible.

I'm done feeling this way. I want some way to fix it. I really do not want to take any medications. I just hate taking medications and I feel like if I am able to overcome all of this without medications then It'll be more helpful for me in the long run.
So, anyone who has anxiety problems what'd you do to sort of calm yourself down and help get rid of some anxiety?
I've heard meditation, yoga, breathing techniques and I've tried those. They haven't worked for me so far.
Any advice is appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4g4b
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Have you thought about therapy? Not all therapist are.all about drugs. And since u are not in to the med thing i hear chamomille and lavender have calming effects to them. As for the driving thing deep breathing should work. Sadly for me.they did not i had to taje meds because.my anxiety was.manifesting.itself through hallucinations. Good luck and i hope this helps you:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KedrynsMommie
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Good luck momma! I have severe anxiety too as well as ocd.. once i have insurance again ill happily take the pills..this shit sucks! Although admittedly, i even felt anxiety about telling the drs that the meds weren't working (i was/am terrified of looking like a pill popper... but i wasn't helping myself either)

Point is, definitely try everything else..but if meds work, then they work kwim?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Thanks! I have started looking into therapy around my area. So, I will probably start therapy soon as my husband comes back from his military training.

Quoting 4g4b:

Have you thought about therapy? Not all therapist are.all about drugs. And since u are not in to the med thing i hear chamomille and lavender have calming effects to them. As for the driving thing deep breathing should work. Sadly for me.they did not i had to taje meds because.my anxiety was.manifesting.itself through hallucinations. Good luck and i hope this helps you:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I know what you mean. I definitely am willing to take the medication if that's what helps. Did you have to go to a therapist to get declared with anxiety? Or just plain every day doctors?

Quoting KedrynsMommie:

Good luck momma! I have severe anxiety too as well as ocd.. once i have insurance again ill happily take the pills..this shit sucks! Although admittedly, i even felt anxiety about telling the drs that the meds weren't working (i was/am terrified of looking like a pill popper... but i wasn't helping myself either)

Point is, definitely try everything else..but if meds work, then they work kwim?

notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I am in therapy now for anxiety (which popped up about two years ago. I am doing much better now and I don't have anxiety attacks much anymore. Basically to deal with it I just tell myself its all in my head, even the scary physical symptoms (that make you think you are having a heart attack or stroke, cause of the numbness).

I try to do some deep breathing on a daily basis.

chane_L
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

valerian root my help.

http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/treatmentoptions/p/valerianroot.htm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM
The only thing that has made a dent in my anxiety is exercise. Intense training style exercise.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
The physical symptoms are definitely the scariest part to me. I will probably try to start therapy very soon.
Thanks for the advice!

Quoting notjstasocermom:

I am in therapy now for anxiety (which popped up about two years ago. I am doing much better now and I don't have anxiety attacks much anymore. Basically to deal with it I just tell myself its all in my head, even the scary physical symptoms (that make you think you are having a heart attack or stroke, cause of the numbness).

I try to do some deep breathing on a daily basis.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out!

Quoting chane_L:

valerian root my help.

http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/treatmentoptions/p/valerianroot.htm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I found that my anxiety would get worse during my exercises. Not sure why. But during the four years of running track it would intensify. It may be because it was all competition. So, maybe I'll have to just try to do my exercising alone and try to make it a "me" time thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

The only thing that has made a dent in my anxiety is exercise. Intense training style exercise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)