Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Texas judge OKs ban on Planned Parenthood funding

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Republican lawmakers who passed the affiliate rule last year have argued that Texas is an anti-abortion state, and therefore should cut off funds to groups that support abortion rights. Gov. Rick Perry, who vehemently opposes abortion, has pledged to do everything legally possible to shut down Planned Parenthood in Texas and welcomed the court's ruling.

"Today's ruling finally clears the way for thousands of low-income Texas women to access much-needed care, while at the same time respecting the values and laws of our state," Perry said. "I applaud all those who stand ready to help these women live healthy lives without sending taxpayer money to abortion providers and their affiliates.

Ken Lambrecht, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas, said he brought the lawsuit on behalf of poor women who depend on its clinics.

"It is shocking that once again Texas officials are letting politics jeopardize health care access for women," Lambrecht said. "Our doors remain open today and always to Texas women in need. We only wish Texas politicians shared this commitment to Texas women, their health, and their well-being."

Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Fucking dumb. :'(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
they should run off donations...not govt funding...especially because they.provide abortions.
hippiemom45
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Wow :(
embersparkle
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I think this is great. I'm very proud of Texas.
miss_lisa
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Fucking dumb. :'(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh great, just what we need more inbred hicks running loose.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Sweet. Doesn't Texas already have a large percentage of people on welfare? Now there will be even more with less clinics offering birth control and abortions.
Pnukey
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Is PP a federal entity? If not, it doesn't need government money. I'm OK with this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM

personally, I think Texas should leave the union.  They are one of the most uneducated, high poverty rates, high teen pregnancy in the entire US. Abortion is not the only thing PP does. It is just hurting the poor, end of story.   It does not get any worse then Texas

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Quoting embersparkle:

I think this is great. I'm very proud of Texas.

really?  I can't think of anything to be proud of when it comes to that state.  Just look at the governor they vote in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)