Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms with boys who have curly hair

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 40 Replies

How do you take care of it? There has to be a better way that takes less than an hour!!! I have to give him a bath, use conditioner and while the conditioner is in his hair that's when I comb the knots out. Then I have to rinse and use a moisturiser THEN I have to go and twist each individual curl! Any suggestions or is this seriously what I have to do everyday in order to keep his curls? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by Anne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I just cut their hair to make it look a little wavy, but it's not as curly as his. What a cutie!

bchic24
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Thank you! We LOVE his curls and don't want to cut them but we might if we have to =\

Quoting crescentstar2:

I just cut their hair to make it look a little wavy, but it's not as curly as his. What a cutie!

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
What a cute kid!

Dd has the same hair. Here's my routine:

Wide tooth comb while wet.

Apply a crap-ton of anti-frizz stuff. I use the Firzz Ease serum, comes in a purple bottle, about $10 for the tiny little thing.

Air dry. Don't let her head touch ANYTHING.

Her hair will clump into spirals on its own as long as its untouched.

Otherwise ... it fros.
crabbyD
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM
He's adorable!!!!!!!

My little guy doesn't have tight curls like your lil' man, but he does have nice loose curly hair. I do almost the same minus the conditioner since his hair doesn't tangle that much. I also use suave kids hair detangler spray to style his hair. After a while though his hair is back to crazy. My little guy is 2.5yo and we still haven't cut his hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
His hair is gorgeous.
bchic24
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Thank you! I don't let his head touch anything!! I flip on family who ruffles his hair up! Lol but without twisting them his hair only curls like this in the front and the rest ends up looking a bit like dreads lol. And if I comb it outside of the bath it fro's up!

Quoting Sagely:

What a cute kid!

Dd has the same hair. Here's my routine:

Wide tooth comb while wet.

Apply a crap-ton of anti-frizz stuff. I use the Firzz Ease serum, comes in a purple bottle, about $10 for the tiny little thing.

Air dry. Don't let her head touch ANYTHING.

Her hair will clump into spirals on its own as long as its untouched.

Otherwise ... it fros.
bchic24
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Thank you! His hair gets tangled really bad! We tried detangler and it didn't help! The conditioner is the only thing that makes the combing bearable for him.

Quoting crabbyD:

He's adorable!!!!!!!

My little guy doesn't have tight curls like your lil' man, but he does have nice loose curly hair. I do almost the same minus the conditioner since his hair doesn't tangle that much. I also use suave kids hair detangler spray to style his hair. After a while though his hair is back to crazy. My little guy is 2.5yo and we still haven't cut his hair.
Katrina316
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Why do you twist his hair? Just let it air dry. My son has curly hair like your son but his is a lot longer. I have a spay bottle mixed with water and conditioner. I spray his hair with that then brush it out. I have this cream called olive oil pudding. I put a little of that and rub it in. Then let his hair air dry. Anything with olive oil is good. We all have curly hair, dh, dd, ds and myself. So it's the same process for all of us. And my dd hair is past her butt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bchic24
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting IntactivistMama:

His hair is gorgeous.
bchic24
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I wasn't twisting until recently because a stylist told us to give it a try. I'll post a pic of his hair when I don't twist it. Huge difference.

Quoting Katrina316:

Why do you twist his hair? Just let it air dry. My son has curly hair like your son but his is a lot longer. I have a spay bottle mixed with water and conditioner. I spray his hair with that then brush it out. I have this cream called olive oil pudding. I put a little of that and rub it in. Then let his hair air dry. Anything with olive oil is good. We all have curly hair, dh, dd, ds and myself. So it's the same process for all of us. And my dd hair is past her butt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN