Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep might ruin my marriage.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 109 Replies

How many hours of sleep per night does your s.o require? If you need them during sleep time are they able to wake up and respond? What if the kids need them? Do they easily fall asleep in "important" situations such as waiting in the ER waiting room while you are being seen?

my husband has seen a doctor and has no medical issues. He works a part time job in retail and goes to school full time which takes up his T & TH. He requires at minimum 8 hours of sleep. Usually more. 

If the kids wake him up for any reason being them being sick, scared, or in some kind of distress he will not get up. They end up coming to wake me up crying that Daddy won't help them even if I have been sick or whatever and need to sleep. 

Last night was a great example. I am only 34 weeks pregnant with a high risk pregnancy. At any sign of labor I am supposed to go be admitted at a hospital over an hour away. I started contracting regularly for over an hour. I woke up hubby. Well, I tried to wake up hubby. He sat up, said "sorry I can't wake up" and went back to sleep! Finally after all Hell broke loose because I was PISSED he sat up with me not saying a word and dozing off for about an hour and a half. Today to recover from being up with me he slept 'til after 1PM! He is still so tired even though he has the day off he is not yet safe to drive me to the hospital.

We fight about sleep all the time. Several times I have been in the ER and he in the waiting room with our children. Every time he falls asleep and when I come out the kids are awake in ER waiting room pretty much fending for themselves or asleep next to him. 

This makes me feel like he doesn't give 2 shits about the family. Whatever the situation sleep is seemingly more important. I'm about to have a new baby and I know I will not be getting any help because there is no way my husband will wake up.

anyone else in this situation? How would you handle it?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

are you sure he doesnt have a medical condition?  that sounds totally abnormal.

NNB
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Is he depressed? I know when im depressed I just want to sleep, its like my body shuts down
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NewMama28
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
That sounds weird.
TSNDDY
I would get him back to a doctor? That sounds messed up?
jbirdsladie27

He sounds sick & depressed
I'm sorry momma
PepperWillow
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Yes, he just had a full physical and mental evaluation. He does suffer from depression that flares up from time to time but this has been consistent behavior regardless of his mental state.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM

is he always tired?

Quoting PepperWillow:

Yes, he just had a full physical and mental evaluation. He does suffer from depression that flares up from time to time but this has been consistent behavior regardless of his mental state.

Quoting Anonymous:

beco8627
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this

He really needs to get evaluated. Probably an MRI of his brain and other tests to figure out why he is so tired all of the time. Perhaps he has sleep apnea preventing him from getting adequate rest.
Binkys_Buttons
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Has he gone in for a sleep study? Sounds to me like apnea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PepperWillow
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM

No, only during typical "sleep" hours. It's like his body shuts off at 10 PM.

Quoting Anonymous:

is he always tired?

Quoting PepperWillow:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)