Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have a climber?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

My almost 2 yr old daughter seems to have no fear and will try to climb everything. I watch her the best I can, and discipline her when I catch her climbing things she is not supposed to, but I dont know what to do in the mean time. I try to keep her contained to where I can see her, but I have a 3yr old and an infant as well, plus I have to sleep at some point, so I cant be glued to her constantly. I just dont want her to fall and get hurt!

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Bump!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Several of them and one on the way of becoming a climber, lol

Do worry...kids have "bouncing abilities", lol

missamanda86
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My 3 year old has always been that way. He climbs up on my DDs dresser and jumps off it like hes spiderman or something. If he gets hurt, I have no sympathy for him. Call me a bad mom, but I cant protect them forever, and IMO its a parents choice to teach the kids right from wrong, and if they make a bad choice and get hurt, its their fault. 

sadiebug1228
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM
My 4 year old son has always loved climbing and his cousin who is 8 recently taught him how to jump down the stairs that lead from the side walk up to the house, it's about 4 steps lol
I think it's normal. We can't hover over them constantly and we have to expect them to eventually get hurt but the less we freak out about it and the less strict we r I think the less they try to do daring stuff and the less upset they'll be if they do get hurt
I've disiplned my son when he does do things that r dangerous but little things like the stairs wasn't so bad or him jumping off the couch or something is fine it lets him explore and learn his own boundaries
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Sassy762:

To a point I agree with this, but falling off the top of our fridge onto the tile floor prolly wouldnt end so well.....

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Well YOU got me there, lol

NONE of mine ever attempted to climb on top of the fridge

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Quoting Sassy762:

To a point I agree with this, but falling off the top of our fridge onto the tile floor prolly wouldnt end so well.....

Alyia72
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

omg yes... I have 18 month old triplets and one I swear is practicing to be a mountain climber she will climb anything including me lol she sinks her nails in to your flesh and trys to climb your leg arm anything she can get her nails into... she loves to use toys or any object that will work as a step stool to get on furniture the table the tv stand...the OVEN...she pulls the drawer out of the bottom of the oven and uses the edges of the drawer to try to get on the stove...They have a toy drum and she runs around the house with it and uses it to stand on to get on top of stuff...her newest favorite is the kitchen chairs then she makes a dive off the chairs to get on the table where my laptop is...She has already had one ER trip a few weeks ago with a gash just beside her eye from falling trying to get on the tv stand... she loves to stand on the tv stand and dance in front of the tv lol..Its nearly impossible to keep her off of stuff.. She started her cimbing adventures with the couch and playing the lets scare the shit outta mommy game where she stands on the couch and runs off the edge usually resulting in a belly flop on the floor I had to eventually just let her fall so she learned hey that hurts if mom dont catch me...But yeah totaly fearless cant keep her in the playpen anymore lol.. She hasent yet climbed out of her crib but I expect it soon... Good luck and dont beat yourself up over the injurys kids fall and get hurt there very sturdy.. I was practicly crying in the ER when she gashed her face open, They were like its ok.. babys get hurt in this stage its part of exploring...as long as your doing your best and watching her I would say let her explore as long as its not dangerous stuff like the oven in my situation.. with my catlike 18 month old...Its really amazing watching her balance on only a few toes on thin edges of drawers ..

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Just wait for the trees.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yes, yes I do. He is into everything. I have found him on the mantle to the fireplace, on top of the fridge, he has managed to get to the top of all the closets. Nothing is out of his reach, so to keep him from getting things (mostly dvds) we have had to buy safes. If anybody ever broke into our huge gun safe they would probably crack up laughing, we have a few guns, some of my jewelery and about 200 dvds. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I have two climbers 2 and 4.  I had to install top-of-door locks on both of their rooms (the kind that also prevents the door from closing so they don't get scared or smash their fingers).  They were waking up in the middle of the night and climbing up on the stove area!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)