Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ladies who make food from scratch, I need some help

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM
  • 28 Replies
Do any of you have any homemade biscuit and gravy recipes? I make it twice a week when my husband is off work. I want to start making it homemade. I think it may be cheaper in the long run. (i'm paying a dollar per can of biscuits and 50 cents to a dollar per pack of gravy) I know it might not cost much now but over time i'm thinking it may.

I don't usually make things from scratch because everything I make turns out messed up and nasty. But I really wanna make stuff. :/
I've looked up recipes, which is fine, but I was wondering if anyone had tips for someone wanting to make anything from scratch. Or any thing you put in your Bs and Gs that makes it better than the rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Sorry I don't make that. I don't like gravy...bump

Caitlinsmom09
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
missamanda86
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I make my gravy with bacon grease and flour, salt and pepper. Start with 1-2T of flour in the hot drippings just to make a paste, add milk a little at a time, stir the lumps out, cook on low heat and it will thicken s it stands. Add your seasonings as you like :)

And for biscuits, i use bisquick. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

One tip for biscuits, "cut" the butter in instead of mixing it in. What kind of gravy are you wanting to make? Sausage?

babybelly25
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Allrecipes.com is awesome! You can find anything there and lots of tips in the comments.
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Bisquick for easy biscuits and just use sausage, flour, and milk for the gravy?

I hate sausage gravy, but its an easy recipe. Brown the sausage, lots of pepper, mix in some flour, then add milk and cook it down.

Missmyangel1
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

my dad makes the worlds best biscuits & gravy, infact they arethe only ones ill eat. He cooks up sausage, leaves the grease in the frying pan and scoops out the sausage pieces. Add flour to the grease and keep adding flour until all the gravy is mixed into the flour and is nice and crumbly (be careful it is easyto burn) add milk to that until it is the consistancy that you like (takes quite a bit of milk fyi)then he adds salt and pepper for taste. I have never been able to make this right, it takes quite a bit of time and not burning shit lol Good luck, it might just be cheaper to use what you have been using, Oh and the biscuits are just the flaky layers by pilsbury!

MomLuvsTnkrbell
Check food.com for good recipes. My gravy secret is a can of evaporated milk and 3 to 6 Tbsp of sugar added to the recipe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2priceboys

I would probably make the biscuits out of bisquick (or generic) mix. The gravy is a simple roux with butter (or sausage and its grease grease) and flour and milk then seasong to your taste (S&P)

Sammybby09
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Yes ma'am

Quoting Anonymous:

One tip for biscuits, "cut" the butter in instead of mixing it in. What kind of gravy are you wanting to make? Sausage?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)