Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will CPS let me have my niece?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

I think CPS needs to be called on my sister, she is mentally unstable and refuses to get help, has a drinking problem, her boyfriend and her are violent towards one another, I know that there is marijuana(illegal use) usage IN the home, there is dog shit all over the floor along with piss and trash.

She lives with my dad and claims she and her baby stay in HER room(very small)which she claims is the clean part of the house. I'm quite sure that if CPS were called they would remove my niece on the spot. I don't want to my niece to be ripped from her mommy, but I have begged my sister to provide better for her and BE BETTER for her, and I have not seen ANY change.

I would HATE for my niece to be shipped off to some stranger and would much rather call knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that if my niece WERE taken into custody they would give her to me or someone else in my family.

Thoughts? Help, Advice?

Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD :   When I say mentally unstable I mean that I'm pretty certain she has untreated Post Partum depression(she has explained to me her feelings and they were similar to mine and I was diagnosed with PPD), maybe even bi-polar disorder which runs in our family. She is a high-functioning alcoholic. Baby's dad IS the boyfriend, they both have a criminal background mostly alcohol and vehicle related. As I stated she is living with my dad, who I grew up with, and I grew up with the same shit piles, trash and piss everywhere, I know from experience that is NO way to be raised. I don't want to get CPS involved but I dont know how to get through to her, I've told her time and time again that marijuana will get your kids taken in a heart beat, but she doesn't seem to care! The child is 1.5 years old.

I know my sister can be a better mother, and my niece deserves better... I just don't know what else will give my sister a kick in the pants to change things. I offered to get a place with them, but they were un-willing to abide by my only rules : No alcohol, no drugs, no smoking inside, and no sketchy friends over.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, a suitable relative placement is always the first choice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM
CPS gave me temporary custody of my 2 nephews until my sister got her act together.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

IF CPS finds that the child is in danger or something. They usually try to find a family member that will be able to take a child in before throwing them into foster care... Sometimes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Out here in Caliornia, family is considered first but the child would in foster care for a couple days while they inspect and approve your home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I wouldnt call cps on a family member but heres a  bump

bi-polarmommy
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM

when cps takes a child out of the home, the first attempt at placement is with a relative, it might take about a month, during which time the child will be with an emergency placement family, but they DO try to place with willing relitaives first

Come join me at Multi-Generational Special Needs Households, a place for moms dealing with 2 or more generations of special needs under one roof

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118250/

K_D88
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM

If the children are removed, the mother will have a say in recommending people she would like her children to reside with. Those people will have to go through formal foster care training while taking care of the kids. They will live under a microscope for the duration.

You will not be gaurenteed the right to raise the kids, nor will you be garuenteed the right to adopt if it comes down to that.

My brother & his wife are currently raising our sister's 2 kids, and have been since Oct 2011. It's been a nightmare. It's completely ripped our family to shreds because of the rules that my brother & his wife are required to live by. A lot of people felt that if family took the kids, there wouldn't be rules, or that just anyone could stop by and see the kids whenever, or take them over night.

My brother has had the kids over night every single night since assuming custody, because no one else is legally allowed to. Some of us (the aunts, uncles, and grandparents) are allowed to take the kids for several hours at a time, but extended family (great aunts, cousins, great grandparents, etc) are not allowed to without being approved.

We all had to go through rigourous background checks just to be around the kids.

It's been a nightmare. Start to finish. And somehow, my sister has come out smelling like a rose, while everyone is vilifying my brother for it.

In our instance, my nephew was 3 months old in Oct 2011 when he was admitted to the hospital with 14 broken bones, and no "cause" in site. My sister's ex-boyfriend (not the baby's dad, btw) is now in prison for 14 years.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Their first priority is to place the child with a family member

bellaamore
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Theyd likely give her to her birth father, unless he is the boyfriend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)