Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

:( going to apply for PA tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We are low income and have avoided getting on PA but we busted. We have $5 in our pocket and enough food to maybe make it to Friday when hubby gets paid again. Then we have gas, water, and hubby phone to pay which will not leave us with much to buy food if any. I feel defeated. However hopefully we don't need it long.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM
I live in Michigan and they have 30 days to process your application. However it usually only takes a few days. Depends on when the worker looks at it.

Here you can go to your local dhs, fill out an application and see a worker that day. But depending on how busy they are, there may be a long wait. Few hours.

Make sure you take 1 month of pay stubs. Utility bills. Copies of license and social security card. Some require copy of birth certificate. Having all your papers together first will speed up the process. Any insurance info. Take that also.

Quoting Anonymous:

How long does it take?

Quoting SoKamele:

Don't forget to try your local food banks....you won't be get anything right away from PA...so ask about where you can get help immediately if you need it.

Good luck...........

pampire
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM

That's what it's there for hon.  I felt kind of bad when I had to apply, but it was the right thing to do to keep my family afloat for now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Don't be ashamed, for getting help. you have to feed your kids and your family.

good luck !!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Good luck. Dh and I tried. I'm out of work because of medical problems but have been denied disability. They said that we are under the gross pay, but by their calculations we are over the net pay so no help for us. For over 2 months now my mom has been paying for our groceries for us. We are a family of 4. It really sucks.
VannaMae307
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM
You are the only one that knows your situation the best. I hope you are able to get the assistance you need. Just remember to pay it forward when you are stable on your feet again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
We had to apply for the first time ever as well. Dh's job knocked him down to 1 day a week. We only need it for 3 months when his work state contract kicks in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I don't have a card from them.

Quoting bugsmama149:

I had to apply for food stamps about 12 yrs ago when my hours at work were cut in half. I got approved for $400 a month and they put $280 on my card the very day I went in and got approved. I don't know if it varies from state to state. I'm in Illinois. Do not be afraid or ashamed to tell them the situation you guys are in right now. They should be able to activate your Link card the day you go in to apply. Good luck to you and your family.

bugsmama149
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

When you go in to apply, you will have to fill out all the required paperwork, they will need a couple recent check stubs, your I.D's, social security cards. When I went, they were able to approve me that day and calculate what I would be getting each month. They pro-rated it to go by what day of the month I was there. I must've been there around the middle of the month. They put $280 on my Link card that day to tide me over till the end of the month.At the beginning of the next month the full amount of $400 was put on. You wouldn't already have a card from them. You will get your card when you are approved.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have a card from them.

Quoting bugsmama149:

I had to apply for food stamps about 12 yrs ago when my hours at work were cut in half. I got approved for $400 a month and they put $280 on my card the very day I went in and got approved. I don't know if it varies from state to state. I'm in Illinois. Do not be afraid or ashamed to tell them the situation you guys are in right now. They should be able to activate your Link card the day you go in to apply. Good luck to you and your family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I know we will be approved we are very low income and a family of 5.

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck. Dh and I tried. I'm out of work because of medical problems but have been denied disability. They said that we are under the gross pay, but by their calculations we are over the net pay so no help for us. For over 2 months now my mom has been paying for our groceries for us. We are a family of 4. It really sucks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

it will depend on how much income you have this month to determine if you will be eligible for emergency food stamps,  i am not sure how much you monthly income will have to be. It usually take about 2 to 4 weeks to get approved for regular food stamps. when you do get them you will get from the date you applied. If you have never received food stamps before you will have to get an EBT card, they will more than likely send it to you the very first time, if you have had and EBT card in the past and don't have it anymore you will have to have them send you another one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)