Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

:( going to apply for PA tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We are low income and have avoided getting on PA but we busted. We have $5 in our pocket and enough food to maybe make it to Friday when hubby gets paid again. Then we have gas, water, and hubby phone to pay which will not leave us with much to buy food if any. I feel defeated. However hopefully we don't need it long.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
HHow big is your family?

Quoting bugsmama149:

When you go in to apply, you will have to fill out all the required paperwork, they will need a couple recent check stubs, your I.D's, social security cards. When I went, they were able to approve me that day and calculate what I would be getting each month. They pro-rated it to go by what day of the month I was there. I must've been there around the middle of the month. They put $280 on my Link card that day to tide me over till the end of the month.At the beginning of the next month the full amount of $400 was put on. You wouldn't already have a card from them. You will get your card when you are approved.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have a card from them.

Quoting bugsmama149:

I had to apply for food stamps about 12 yrs ago when my hours at work were cut in half. I got approved for $400 a month and they put $280 on my card the very day I went in and got approved. I don't know if it varies from state to state. I'm in Illinois. Do not be afraid or ashamed to tell them the situation you guys are in right now. They should be able to activate your Link card the day you go in to apply. Good luck to you and your family.

tarakay0417
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Do what you need to do to feed your family. FS is there to help those that need it. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM

what state do you live in. some states you have to apply online.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Ohio

Quoting Anonymous:

what state do you live in. some states you have to apply online.

bugsmama149
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

At the time it was just me and my son. I had a good job with the U.S. Postal Service but my hours had been cut totally in half. Try to find your state's website for the Dept of Public Aid. These sites have a calculator that will take your family size combined with your gross monthly income and you should be able to see if you'll be approved or not. It's been 12 years since I had to do any of this and I wish I could remember what it was called. Each state has it's own rules. Like a family of 4 has to make under a certain amount to qualify for aid. But no matter what, make sure you go into the office and apply, no matter what you may find on the internet. If you have at least one child you will be approved for state aid.

Quoting Anonymous:

HHow big is your family?

Quoting bugsmama149:

When you go in to apply, you will have to fill out all the required paperwork, they will need a couple recent check stubs, your I.D's, social security cards. When I went, they were able to approve me that day and calculate what I would be getting each month. They pro-rated it to go by what day of the month I was there. I must've been there around the middle of the month. They put $280 on my Link card that day to tide me over till the end of the month.At the beginning of the next month the full amount of $400 was put on. You wouldn't already have a card from them. You will get your card when you are approved.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bugsmama149:

I had to apply for food stamps about 12 yrs ago when my hours at work were cut in half. I got approved for $400 a month and they put $280 on my card the very day I went in and got approved. I don't know if it varies from state to state. I'm in Illinois. Do not be afraid or ashamed to tell them the situation you guys are in right now. They should be able to activate your Link card the day you go in to apply. Good luck to you and your family.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM

In some states you can get emergency FS with 24-48  hours...YOU will need to get the EBT card

Quoting Anonymous:

How long does it take?

Quoting SoKamele:

Don't forget to try your local food banks....you won't be get anything right away from PA...so ask about where you can get help immediately if you need it.

Good luck...........

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I just did that and it says I should get over $500 a month. Wow that's more than I spend on food a month now.

Quoting bugsmama149:

At the time it was just me and my son. I had a good job with the U.S. Postal Service but my hours had been cut totally in half. Try to find your state's website for the Dept of Public Aid. These sites have a calculator that will take your family size combined with your gross monthly income and you should be able to see if you'll be approved or not. It's been 12 years since I had to do any of this and I wish I could remember what it was called. Each state has it's own rules. Like a family of 4 has to make under a certain amount to qualify for aid. But no matter what, make sure you go into the office and apply, no matter what you may find on the internet. If you have at least one child you will be approved for state aid.

Quoting Anonymous:

HHow big is your family?

Quoting bugsmama149:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bugsmama149:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM

OP...googled the Ohio FS link

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/public-benefits/food/food-stamps/qandact_view

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I just switched to the computer so I can apply. Its hard to see from the tablet.

Quoting Sassy762:

OP...googled the Ohio FS link

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/public-benefits/food/food-stamps/qandact_view

bugsmama149
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM

My sister has 2 kids and even when her ex was working full time, they were still getting $300 a month on their link card. they have since split up and she works part time but still gets almost $500 a month. And what you don't spend in one month will carry over to the next month.

Quoting Anonymous:

I just did that and it says I should get over $500 a month. Wow that's more than I spend on food a month now.

Quoting bugsmama149:

Quoting Anonymous:

HHow big is your family?

Quoting bugsmama149:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bugsmama149:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)