Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I only buy my daughter educational toys.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yep. I sure do. She only gets educational toys, and DVD's. She only watches educational shows on TV too. She is already so much more intelligent than her other classmates that the principle of her school has scheduled a meeting with me on whether or not to bump her up a grade.

I think I'm going to let them do it. Educationally, she is ready for it. She finishes her work in class and then gets so bored because she is always the first one to get done with it. Then again, I'm also afraid for her because socially, I don't think she may be ready for it.

I want to let her, but then again, I don't.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Is this what you want or what your dd wants? I only ask, cuz I had a girl in my class who skipped a grade ( up to my grade). Good idea in theory, but she was miserable, and bullied. She missed her friends, and some did not want to be friends with her anymore. It's all stupid when you think about it now( we're 29-30 now, yes she is my friend). Still something she in a way regretted doing. ANYWAYS lol good luck :)
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I suppose she doesn't have any Barbie dolls does she???

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:13 AM

No. She has never had one.

Quoting Sassy762:

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM

that's nice

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this

just keep in mind educationally and emotionally are't the same thing

Unoriginal.
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM
4 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

She may be ready academically but you really need to consider where she is cognitively and emotionally. Is she really ready to move up a grade? You need to really think about this long and hard before you push her ahead.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM
7 moms liked this

ALL toys have an educational factor to them...whether that be academic, social, or emotional education. Creativity is part of education. So even a Barbie doll, baby doll, Hot Wheel car or a yo-yo can be educational.

My DH reminded me....almost all engineers, computer programmers and those in other technical fields played with Legos as kids and many still do as adults. Legos are not marketed as educational, but my middle DD takes a Robotics class where they use the Lego programming software developed my MIT.

SLMitchell
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM

My husband and I only bought our daughter educational toys in the beginning, with the intention of only adding toys as her developmental needs changed.  Of course, then her first birthday came around, everybody brought gifts, and there you go.  She just turned four, and while she is now in a Barbie phase, the majority of her toys serve an educational purpose.  I homeschool, but in a way she has skipped a grade, as apparently much of her curriculum is intended for kindergarten.  She has always been naturally drawn to numbers, and this week she began teaching herself simple math!  People often tell me that her verbal skills seem much more advanced than those of most children her age too. :)

Still, if she ever attends public or private school, I will keep her with her age group.  I would rather she be a little bored in class than feel like an outsider.

Fatal_Frost
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM
4 moms liked this
Quoting Sassy762:

Lol

I keep wondering, how fun my life would be if I had absolutely nothing frivolous, nothing 'just because' or nothing that amused me with no other benefit but that... I like my well-rounded kids, who do well in school but also find great amusement in a furby or farting keychain (my stepson gave it to them, I swear the battery in it will outlast me)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)