Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man donates sperm to lesbian couple, now to pay CS?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 290 Replies

Poll

Question: Is this fair to make Mr. Marotta pay child support on a sperm donation?

Options:

Yes

No

Other - please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 960

View Results

Is this fair?

A sperm donor in Kansas is fighting a state effort to force him to pay child support for a child conceived through artificial insemination by a lesbian couple.

William Marotta, 46, of Topeka said he is "a little scared about where this is going to go, primarily for financial reasons," The Topeka Capital-Journal reported Monday.

When he donated sperm to Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner in 2009, Marotta relinquished all parental rights, including financial responsibility to the child. When Bauer and Schreiner filed for state assistance this year, the state demanded the donor's name so it could collect child support for the now 3-year-old girl. Bauer and Schreiner broke up in 2010 but co-parent their eight children, who range in age from 3 months to 25 years.

"In the long run, I think this will be a good thing, but I'm the one getting squashed," Marotta said. "I can't even believe it's gone this far at this point, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it."

Read the full story here.

Is this fair?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM
40 moms liked this

Not fair at all. I feel for the poor guy. How did the state even get his name? It sounds to me like the two women in question went after him once things fell apart. Sadly, because Kansas is in the Bible Belt, they will go after the man that helped a lesbian couple have a baby. This is why we need equal rights for gays. Both women should be on the birth certificate and the man that donated his semen shouldn't be held liable.

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Oy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Not ok!

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM
3 moms liked this
What the hell? They must be out their rabbit ass minds.
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully they drop it. Soon.
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM
8 moms liked this

He gave up his rights. This isn't fair at all he can't get visitation there's no way he should have to pay for the child. Thats unfair. Any other man who signs off his rights after the kid is born doesn't have to pay for the child. The women should be forced to work money issues out between them. As if they are a married couple who broke up. They took on the responsibility of the children they don't deserve a 3rd income to take care of them! 

chane_L
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM
15 moms liked this

a good lawyer is going to have a field day with this, it's just like going after a birth parent to pay for an adopted child.

travelbunny
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it is fair.  If you're going to make one man pay child support when he signed away all his rights then you should make all the sperm donors and egg donors pay CS.  I think it's stupid that the state is going after him for child support.

Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this

No way! He is in no way that little girls parent! The 2 ladies are. I cannot believe this is even an issue!

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Wow that's really messed up!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured