Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Man donates sperm to lesbian couple, now to pay CS?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is this fair to make Mr. Marotta pay child support on a sperm donation?

Options:

Yes

No

Other - please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 960

View Results

Is this fair?

A sperm donor in Kansas is fighting a state effort to force him to pay child support for a child conceived through artificial insemination by a lesbian couple.

William Marotta, 46, of Topeka said he is "a little scared about where this is going to go, primarily for financial reasons," The Topeka Capital-Journal reported Monday.

When he donated sperm to Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner in 2009, Marotta relinquished all parental rights, including financial responsibility to the child. When Bauer and Schreiner filed for state assistance this year, the state demanded the donor's name so it could collect child support for the now 3-year-old girl. Bauer and Schreiner broke up in 2010 but co-parent their eight children, who range in age from 3 months to 25 years.

"In the long run, I think this will be a good thing, but I'm the one getting squashed," Marotta said. "I can't even believe it's gone this far at this point, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it."

Read the full story here.

Is this fair?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (281-290):
amazingj
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

this is just idiotic.  He DONATED.  He gave with out asking for anything back.  this is like if you donate a pint of blood and some one says "hey, this person needs more, we KNOW it was your blood and you are responsible because your blood saved their life once, now you're court ordered to give a pint for this person every 2 weeks for the rest of their life, no leaving the state, the country, nothing."  Why, because you gave what preserved life the first time.  This is so messed up.  The two women got what they wanted, now he has to pay???? no, no, no.

amazingj
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Quoting SadeAyosmom:

poor guy he does a good thing and look. smh

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Not fair at all. I feel for the poor guy. How did the state even get his name? It sounds to me like the two women in question went after him once things fell apart. Sadly, because Kansas is in the Bible Belt, they will go after the man that helped a lesbian couple have a baby. This is why we need equal rights for gays. Both women should be on the birth certificate and the man that donated his semen shouldn't be held liable.

No good deed goes unpunished. 

Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

It sounds like these women want to have it both ways. They want to be the parents, yet when the relationship fell apart, all of a sudden, it's someone else's responsibility to take care of the child. It was THEIR choice to conceive the child, so it's THEIR responsibility to pay for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Sue the turkey baster. ;-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 50 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

They have 8 kids...so where are the fathers of the other kids? Are they paying support?

This is absolutely ridiculous, btw. He tried to help someone and this is what he gets.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

not fair at all...he donated his sperm so another family could have children, whether it be a straight or gay couple it doesnt matter, he relinquished his rights legally, just like a legal adoption.  The state should not be able to void his contract with this family just because they couldnt make ends meet.  that child is not his responsibility, it is the responsibility of its 2 mothers, and they need to figure out how to pay for all 8 of their children.  I cannot, for the life of me wrap my head around this!! I donated embryos to a couple, and relinquished parental rights, now will I have to worry that someday if they are in financial peril that my husband and I will have to financially support the child that may come from that donation? 

Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Thats fawking sad. that man tried to help them women. going through a clinic costs killer money. he saved them money helped then and now they want even more from him. This world is fawked. Karma is a bitch, them "women" will get whats coming to them 

Quoting CheesyKitty:

The state has a valid case. They did not go through a dr or clinic. He "donated" privately straight from him to them no third party involvement. He signed an agreement that the mothers wouldn't go after cs, but he is not legally protected from the state. The state protects true donors whom go through the proper channels. This man is no different than a one night stand leaglly speaking.

Quoting Mel0dy:

This has to be a joke.... Poor guy, we all know this is not going to go anywhere in court 

CheesyKitty
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
The women aren't technically going after him. It is the state enforcing the laws, which all parties broke.

Quoting Mel0dy:

Thats fawking sad. that man tried to help them women. going through a clinic costs killer money. he saved them money helped then and now they want even more from him. This world is fawked. Karma is a bitch, them "women" will get whats coming to them 

Quoting CheesyKitty:

The state has a valid case. They did not go through a dr or clinic. He "donated" privately straight from him to them no third party involvement. He signed an agreement that the mothers wouldn't go after cs, but he is not legally protected from the state. The state protects true donors whom go through the proper channels. This man is no different than a one night stand leaglly speaking.

Quoting Mel0dy:

This has to be a joke.... Poor guy, we all know this is not going to go anywhere in court 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

So long as abortion remains legal, I think that a man should have the right to "opt out" of parenthood just as a woman does up until the date where she is able to legally obtain an abortion.

If abortion is no legal, then it's as simple as this:  If you helped create the child, then you should be responsible for helping to raise and support that child.

DDDaysh
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Yes, in this case it is fair.  The parties did not bother to get a full legal understanding of what they were doing when they chose to not go through a physician's office.  If this man is not held responsible, it would open the door for a wide variety of poeple who would prefer to just get government assistance to merely claim the child was concieved via "donation".  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN