Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Man donates sperm to lesbian couple, now to pay CS?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is this fair to make Mr. Marotta pay child support on a sperm donation?

Options:

Yes

No

Other - please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 960

View Results

Is this fair?

A sperm donor in Kansas is fighting a state effort to force him to pay child support for a child conceived through artificial insemination by a lesbian couple.

William Marotta, 46, of Topeka said he is "a little scared about where this is going to go, primarily for financial reasons," The Topeka Capital-Journal reported Monday.

When he donated sperm to Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner in 2009, Marotta relinquished all parental rights, including financial responsibility to the child. When Bauer and Schreiner filed for state assistance this year, the state demanded the donor's name so it could collect child support for the now 3-year-old girl. Bauer and Schreiner broke up in 2010 but co-parent their eight children, who range in age from 3 months to 25 years.

"In the long run, I think this will be a good thing, but I'm the one getting squashed," Marotta said. "I can't even believe it's gone this far at this point, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it."

Read the full story here.

Is this fair?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I wonder if they are going after the other donors as well.  This is really stupid and a waste of taxpayer dollars.

theCMtroll82
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

thats awful! he was trying to do a good thing and it backfired, he should not have to pay child support

nova.mommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

First off, he should not have to pay for a 'donation.'  But if he has to pay, he should get visitation, and beable to claim the child on his taxes too.  

The mother can't have her cake and eat it too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM
That's bs!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
They did not have artificial insimination they did not go through a doctor....so does that mean they had sex and she got pregnant? If that is the case then he owes child support.
MysticalKnight
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

f you read the full story it explains that she was tyring to get health insurance for the child when she could not work due to illness.  She was told that they would not allow her to get the coverage if she did not supply his name.

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Not fair at all. I feel for the poor guy. How did the state even get his name? It sounds to me like the two women in question went after him once things fell apart. Sadly, because Kansas is in the Bible Belt, they will go after the man that helped a lesbian couple have a baby. This is why we need equal rights for gays. Both women should be on the birth certificate and the man that donated his semen shouldn't be held liable.

siennasmamma
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

NO.

mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM
The phrase, "no good deed goes unpunished" seems incredibly appropriate here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3B
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Clearly he needed a better lawyer. 

MaskedMomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

thats sme bull

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)