Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When someone claims your kids that aren't suppose to..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My grandmother is trying to add my 2 kids to get back on her taxes..... The woman does not raise my kids! Doesn't even see them! How do I turn her in?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Claim them on your taxes and call the IRS to report. Years ago, my good friend thought it would be a great idea to claim our other friend's children since she wasn't gong to file taxes at all. The friend agreed. They got caught pretty easily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
If you lived with her and she provided half of their support then yes she can claim them. However you say she doesn't see them so then she can't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
No she does nothing for me or my kids at all! I have no idea why she thinks she can!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

You can report her to the IRS.

Why is she doing this?  Just to be a bitch?  Just greedy?  Or has she been paying to support/help support them and/or you?

RLT2
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Call the IRS

Pnukey
by Jenn on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM

They can audit her then, and she will have to pay back all the money she got plus fines. It will suck big time. I worked for an accountant for about 18 months and they processed many, many audits for people trying to claim the same kid. It's a mess. It will suck for granny.

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard she claimed them last year too! I never signed and never gave her my kids snn?! Idk how she did it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would call the IRS and report her. That's crazy. She has to have their ssn to claim them and a signed paper with your signature on it saying you are allowing her to claim them. 

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM
If she doesn't have their SSN then there's no way she claimed them. Did you not claim them last year?

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard she claimed them last year too! I never signed and never gave her my kids snn?! Idk how she did it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would call the IRS and report her. That's crazy. She has to have their ssn to claim them and a signed paper with your signature on it saying you are allowing her to claim them. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Just call the IRS

Lydlou02
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM
If your taxes are filed before hers she won't be able to claim them. If she does hers first you'll have to complain to the IRS and show proof, it'll take longer that way, but she'll get in trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM
This...

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

If she doesn't have their SSN then there's no way she claimed them. Did you not claim them last year?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Does she know thier ss number? If not then she can't claim them so don't worry about it. If she knows them then call and turn her in but be prepared for it to take longer for both of to get your taxes back because they will have to investigate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)