Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When someone claims your kids that aren't suppose to..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My grandmother is trying to add my 2 kids to get back on her taxes..... The woman does not raise my kids! Doesn't even see them! How do I turn her in?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM
My husband passed last year and i wasn't working so she knew no one was going to claim them.. as for the ssn I have no idea how she got them?

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

If she doesn't have their SSN then there's no way she claimed them. Did you not claim them last year?

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard she claimed them last year too! I never signed and never gave her my kids snn?! Idk how she did it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would call the IRS and report her. That's crazy. She has to have their ssn to claim them and a signed paper with your signature on it saying you are allowing her to claim them. 

IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I know someone that did that. Wasn't my kid she did it with thank heavens. Call I the irs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Do you live with her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chane_L
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

you call the IRS

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Yikes! Call the IRS today. Tell them about last year too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Nope! I live on my own with my 2 kids

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Do you live with her?

mantyangel
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

This....you claim them anyways.  The IRS will deny at first and then you submit proof.  She will have to re-do her taxes and pay back any refunds she received as a result.

Quoting joyfullem:

you claim them on your taxes and if your request is denied then your tax person will have to send in proof that you are the custodial parent (which should be relatively easy) and the IRS will work it out

Tara922c
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Does she have their social security numbers? If not, don't worry about it. I would go ahead and claim your kids, and if she does too, the IRS will catch it. You can't report her for trying/wanting to claim your kids. You may even call the IRS after you file and explain the situation. Several years ago (like 10 years ago), my friend claimed herself and so did her parents. She had moved out in the beginning of the year, and her parents still wanted the tax deduction. Both were audited, and her parents had to pay back that money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Does she have their ss#'s?
If not she can't claim them. If so, and she does claim them she can be in big trouble. Tell her she cannot because you already have and she will be penalized and fined. Also, file yours first... Like the very first day the IRS will accept it. Then her's will be denied and red flagged.
ramonafrog
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
This exactly.

Quoting Tara922c:

Does she have their social security numbers? If not, don't worry about it. I would go ahead and claim your kids, and if she does too, the IRS will catch it. You can't report her for trying/wanting to claim your kids. You may even call the IRS after you file and explain the situation. Several years ago (like 10 years ago), my friend claimed herself and so did her parents. She had moved out in the beginning of the year, and her parents still wanted the tax deduction. Both were audited, and her parents had to pay back that money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN