Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When someone claims your kids that aren't suppose to..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My grandmother is trying to add my 2 kids to get back on her taxes..... The woman does not raise my kids! Doesn't even see them! How do I turn her in?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Thanks Ladies! I will be calling the IRS ASAP.
PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Does she have their ssn?  She needs their ssn's to claim them.  You can call IRS and report her.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Call the Irs (they habe numbers onlIne to report fraud) and give them all the info they need... include that there may be other years she claimed them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TAG_ur_it
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

call them.  and file as normal.  they'll open an investigation into her taxes and she'll get nailed for fraud. 

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

You turn in your taxes first. If she claims them but you've already been credited, they'll reject hers. My dad went through this with my sister's boyfriend. My nephew was born at the very end of the year, my dad was still taking care of my sister the entire time she was pregnant (she had my nephew at 17, was living at home still). Her boyfriend tried to claim her on his taxes. My dad was like "you can claim your child, but I am claiming my daughter this year" so I cant remember specifics but my dad had to argue it out with the boyfriend and the IRS.

kaiser10123
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Wait she has your children's social security numbers? If you file your taxes there is a question that ask is there someone else claiming your children if you say "NO" then when your childrens SS number appear again a red flag goes off and she'll be contacted.
MaskedMomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM

this exactly, I asked my tax guy when my ex husband and I split up, I figured my ex would try so I had my tax guy send in a paper right with my taxes stating I'm the custodial parent. I got my refund at the normal time-length, they held my exs until like may or june by the time he got it back and he filed in feb. Apparently he did try to file for the kids.

Quoting joyfullem:

you claim them on your taxes and if your request is denied then your tax person will have to send in proof that you are the custodial parent (which should be relatively easy) and the IRS will work it out

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

She's definitely breaking the law.. You need to get ahold of the  IRS and report her... for last year and this year. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard she claimed them last year too! I never signed and never gave her my kids snn?! Idk how she did it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would call the IRS and report her. That's crazy. She has to have their ssn to claim them and a signed paper with your signature on it saying you are allowing her to claim them. 

askyourmother
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Well she would of had to have their ssn in order to do that. Did you file taxes last year? If she had claimed them it would have been flagged and you would have to prove you were responsible for them the whole year. Just file your taxes like normal and they will let you know if someone else tried to claim them. Call the Irs to give them a heads up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard she claimed them last year too! I never signed and never gave her my kids snn?! Idk how she did it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would call the IRS and report her. That's crazy. She has to have their ssn to claim them and a signed paper with your signature on it saying you are allowing her to claim them. 

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM
This. And then she will
Get in trouble for tax fraud

Quoting joyfullem:

you claim them on your taxes and if your request is denied then your tax person will have to send in proof that you are the custodial parent (which should be relatively easy) and the IRS will work it out

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured