Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*EDIT*Interracial couples...how is your relationship with your in-Laws?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies
So I'm African American and my DH is German and we have a 6 month old son. My DH mother loves me and her new husband is African American but my DH father seems like he tolerates me. I don't know why I just would prefer to keep my distance from his fathers side. I've been told his father has used the "N" word a few times but I can't help but to feel uncomfortable. I'm very respectful and well mannered and don't come off as some trashy uneducated person. My DH has told me not to worry but we have a son together and I don't want him to be mistreated or feel unloved from his grandfather.

No need for bashing its not one of those kinds of post just just want some input from women who may have gone or continue to go thru such an experience.

I'm afraid to personally talk to his father so I don't say anything

EDIT: Ladies you all have been wonderful. I'm sorry to hear some of the stories which the families have been complete asses but for the most part you awesome ladies have held your own whether it was coming from your own family or your SO family. Love is Love no matter the color!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamapanda1030
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

My ex's mom is Puerto Rican, and she absolutely hated me, and called me every horrible name for a white woman in Spanish that she could come up with.  His entire family was like that with me. They love our daughter to death though...probably because she looks absolutely nothing like me, and is a spitting image of her father. 

My fiance is Mexican, and his mom loves me to the moon and back. She also loves my daughter, and our newborn son, even though our son looks really white and has blue eyes. 

It really depends on the person. It hurts to be discriminated against, but since your child shares yours and your husband's DNA, I'm hoping for the best for you, and that his father doesn't act like this around your son.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My SIL is in the interacial marriage and well her boyfriends mother is barely starting to accept her. He is black. 

Her mother is passed, her dad has nothing to do with her and well we slid out of the picture...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know my in-law (YAY) and my parents love my DF.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I am white and my hubby is puerto rican. My MIL loves me, but my mom hates him. My mom is a little racist though. Dont hate me for this but she used to have this black man come to her house to do fix it stuff, change light fixtures, paint walls etc. He was there chatting with my aunt one night and my mom was a little drunk and she told the man "My poodle has the same hair as you!" (she has a standard black poodle) I was so embarrased! The worse part is, she knows better! 

She needs to get over it though, my brother is married to a hispanic as well.

bchic24
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
My mil and I don't get along very well. His mom is from Uganda and believes strongly in the woman catering to the man hand and foot but my hubby and I live as equals so she hates it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM
My husband is Dutch, mostly, and I am black. My mil loves me. His grandmother, uncle, aunt, and a few cousins really dislike me. And I really don't care. *shrug
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
travelbunny
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My husband's family loves me.  We're two races and two different cultures.  My family on the other hand hates my husband because they are racist and also don't like DH because he is from the Middle East and we're Muslims (I'm a revert).  My poor husband isn't allowed into mom's house because my step father won't have a "N" in his house.  It upsets me and pisses me off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Oh wow that's so rude! At least they love your baby. I feel like you can hate me all you want but don't mistreat an innocent baby. My son looks like his father as well except his father has blue eyes and my DS has brown. I'm glad your relationship with your DF family is better!

Quoting Mamapanda1030:

My ex's mom is Puerto Rican, and she absolutely hated me, and called me every horrible name for a white woman in Spanish that she could come up with.  His entire family was like that with me. They love our daughter to death though...probably because she looks absolutely nothing like me, and is a spitting image of her father. 

My fiance is Mexican, and his mom loves me to the moon and back. She also loves my daughter, and our newborn son, even though our son looks really white and has blue eyes. 

It really depends on the person. It hurts to be discriminated against, but since your child shares yours and your husband's DNA, I'm hoping for the best for you, and that his father doesn't act like this around your son.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
That's really sad and hurtful :( I'm so sorry

Quoting travelbunny:

My husband's family loves me.  We're two races and two different cultures.  My family on the other hand hates my husband because they are racist and also don't like DH because he is from the Middle East and we're Muslims (I'm a revert).  My poor husband isn't allowed into mom's house because my step father won't have a "N" in his house.  It upsets me and pisses me off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM
My DH grandmother on his mother side doesn't care for AA people but his fathers mother loves me she's so sweet. Elders always worry me :(

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

My husband is Dutch, mostly, and I am black. My mil loves me. His grandmother, uncle, aunt, and a few cousins really dislike me. And I really don't care. *shrug
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)