Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do I do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

My sister asked me to be her maid of honor, and I have NO idea what is expected of me.   When I got married, we had a JOP wedding, there wasn't anything formal, so I don't know what I need to do.  Help!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM

You are her right hand woman.  You go with her to pick stuff out if her fiance cant, you help her at dress fittings, you organize the other bridesmaids getting their fittings, you plan the bridal shower and bachelorette party, you help do invitations, on the wedding day, you help her get ready and get her anything she needs (make sure you are dressed and ready to go very early because you wont have time later on), again, you direct the other bridesmaids on where to be when.  Its a hard job.  LOL!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Am I responsible for the cost of all of this stuff, too?

Kennadismom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Just your stuff. Like if she has x number bridesmaids you all pay x amt for the shower and gift
My moh had a shirt made that said "maid of honor...Aka the brides bitch" lol its a lot of work but worth it! You should be honored
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I had read somewhere that the MOH (along with the bridesmaids?) has to pay for the bridal shower, is that true?  I know I have to pay for my dress/shoes/accessories/accomodations etc.  I also read that we have to ask for donations for the bachlorette party.

I was really surprised that she asked me, actually, we aren't particularly close.

Quoting Kennadismom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Just your stuff. Like if she has x number bridesmaids you all pay x amt for the shower and gift
My moh had a shirt made that said "maid of honor...Aka the brides bitch" lol its a lot of work but worth it! You should be honored

Kennadismom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Ive been in 2 weddings as bridesmaids and for the shower it was all of us and the moms that paid for it. Same as my shower, my mom, mil and bridesmaids paid for it same with my bachelorette party. Everyone pitched in for everything. Being in a wedding can be pricey! We didn't do anything extra extravagant for the weddings I was in. Each shower coated me $200 ($150 for the shower stuff and $50 towards the gift) bachelorette party was around $100 and then we all took turns buying the brides drinks but that wasn't bad because there were so many people St the bachelorette party I only bought the bride 1 drink. I've been told by 4 of my 7 bridesmaids that my wedding was the cheapest they had ever been in! Lol I didn't expect too much from my girls moneywise because I know everyone's situation was different.
Whisperywind
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Plan the bridal shower, ask if there is anything she needs, make things, schedule, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)