Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am NOT your personal, free counseling!!!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

I love my job. I do. It's amazing. It's fascinating.

I tend to enjoy it so much that it sort of seeps out of me and I offer tidbits of advice and help and well, counseling, to the people in my life. My close friends and family appreciate my help but don't expect that kind of thing from me. 

HOWEVER. People I hardly know, aquaintences, friends of friends, people I meet at parties... they find out I'm a counselor and they just wanna go head first into their personal issues. Usually, it's something like "omg you should talk to my dad/friend/wife/husband... they are totally crazy..." and then they go into someone elses problems.... which eventually comes around to THEIR problems. And I spend an otherwise fun party listening to some partially drunk moron drone on and on about their daddy issues.

I'm not here to counsel you. I'm here to party. I'm here to get AWAY, in fact.

I have friends on facebook that I haven't seen in person in YEARS that randomly write me 10,000 word essays about their personal problems and ask for help. Like really? YOU HAVE TO PAY ME FOR THAT. Just because you know me doesn't mean I can't wait to fix you. I am NOT your therapist. We are friends, you are not my client.

It's like meeting an auto mechanic at a party and asking him to fix your brakes, since you know, your car is right out front.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM
5 moms liked this

I have a problem.....

ChocolateJunky
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Next time hand them a business card. Tell them if they'd like to talk more about it to set up an appointment.

livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM

and ANOTHER thing....

I am a COUNSELOR. Not a psychologist (yet!!!) and definitely not a psychiatrist (EVER). There's a HUGE difference. I do traumatic stress counseling. So no, I cannot tell you if your daughter has ADHD. I cannot write your drug addicted ass a scrip for zoloft. I cannot reccomend someone be admitted to a center based on your last fight with them. I don't do marriage and relationship counseling (unless it directly relates to the victim's situation) so don't tell me about your wife cheating, or your husband's doucheyness... don't spend MY free time talking about it. I don't wanna hear about how you are a victim of the people in your life, or how you just need a "little boost" to get you through the day. Okay fine. You need a boost? Here... have my vodka/cran. Down it fast. Then drink another. There's your boost. That's my professional advice. You're at a party. Freaking PARTY. And leave me alone.

mcclainprincess
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM
3 moms liked this
So, there was this one time...,,lol. Totally get what your saying..

It happens at my job, people assume just because i diagnose a problem for free fixing it should be free too.. That's when i say "this is your problem, will be sixty five an hour to fix it plus parts.."

Next time say.. "ok, so your fucked up. Meet me at my office Monday am, My hourly rate is $250."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM

LOL  It's not QUITE like a mechanic fixing your brakes, as he would need parts and tools, but the analogy is close enough.  I KWYM.  I am a nurse and you should hear some of the questions people ask me.  Most of the time, I tell them to ask their DR.  Actually, it makes me glad I am not a DR.  LOL

JadsW
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Hey - quit unloading your issues on me. GAWD. ;D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM

ya I tried that for a while lol...

I got "oh!! hahaha!! I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to like, get counseling or anything! it's just that....." and there they go again.... you can't get them to shut up. People who need help but don't want to seek it out... they just talk. A lot. And they say things like "I bet you hear this all the time at work" and "I'm sure this is totally normal, but I feel like...."

like OMG SHUT UP!

now, I just walk away. I walk far, far away.

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Next time hand them a business card. Tell them if they'd like to talk more about it to set up an appointment.

livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

well technically I need parts and tools too... they just don't appear the same way. I need consent to treat, I need background information, I need specifics. I need to ask questions and get a feel for the persons receptiveness, their attention, if they are obligated to go to counseling or really truly want help.... things like that.

And a mechanic at a party is NOT equipped to fix someones freaking BRAKES. Neither am I. I'm not equipped to sit down with you and fix your issues. And honestly? I spend 40 hours a week fixing other ppl's issues. I don't WANT TO DO IT HERE.

I can't imagine being in health care (physical health care). I've seen my cousin (RN) drop a jaw when ppl ask about growths, itchyness, rashes.... like OMG!! I don't even KNOW YOU!! WHY?!?!?!

Cheers to you for taking the crap like a champ... I can't stand it....

I need counseling for anger issues....lol

Quoting opal10161973:

LOL  It's not QUITE like a mechanic fixing your brakes, as he would need parts and tools, but the analogy is close enough.  I KWYM.  I am a nurse and you should hear some of the questions people ask me.  Most of the time, I tell them to ask their DR.  Actually, it makes me glad I am not a DR.  LOL

livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

SHUDDUP AND LISTEN!!!!!!

:p

Quoting JadsW:

JadsW
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM
LMAO :D

Quoting livn4hevn:

SHUDDUP AND LISTEN!!!!!!

:p

Quoting JadsW:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured