Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you like giving the government interest free loans?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I hear so many people who LOVE to get so much money back every year from their tax returns. Um....don't you realize that you are paying in too much during the year, giving the government an interest free loan for the whole year? Wouldn't you rather spend or invest the money yourself during the year? Or are you so bad at saving money yourself that you want the goverment to do it for you? Or you don't know that you can change the amonut withheld?

Yes, I know a lot of you are going to say you have some special situation that you can't help but do it this way. I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the people who could very easily change the amount they are having withheld from each paycheck.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (131-137):
stayci94
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM
We live in Vancouver, WA and my husband works right across the bridge in Portland, OR. Oregon has a state tax that it imposes on its residents but does not have sales tax. Washington state does not have a state tax. We have been as high as 9 or 10 or as low as 3 or 4 dependents in order to off set the Oregon state tax. With all of the tax changes over the last few years its hard to predict it. To maybe answer questions in advance.....even tho we live in another state we can not be exempt from tax because he works in that state. Now if he worked for a company that was based in Washington and just did jobs in Oregon they would charge a travel tax which is way cheaper. It would be nice too be able to do that. Earlier in our life my husband ex ran with their new born baby and hid. He was ordered to pay child support but the state stopped taking it out of his pay check. We called and check to see why. Well she told child support enforcement that my boyfriend at the time ( my husband for 19 years now) , had beat her and she feared for her and their sons life. In order not to give out her address they had to stop child support. It took us 2 years to find her, file divorce papers and visitation and prove he never abused her. The judge said we had to pay back over 2 years of child support (nice Court system right!?) Long story to say this. We claimed as little as possible on taxes and i never claimed injured spouse, so back child support would be paid off as soon as possible. So needless to say we can't use that in our favor. Wish we could. Also to be clear I've known my husband since he was 15 and his wife cheated on him with his best friend, best friends brother and my brother in law ( he was 15 and she was 18, so we don't blame him) she was pissed we were together right after he kicked her out. I didn't even have any feelings for him until a month and a half after they split and right before she told him she was pregnant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NiCo86
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I'm cool with them taking the money because my taxes seem to be different each year. It's kind of crazy, and I would rather not end up owing money at the end of the year, ya know?

unspecified42
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Because my point was that the government isn't my nemesis, I would maaaaybe put it in a savings account that might make a few dollars, and you aren't me. I'm happy. Be happy. Get the hell over your money and live your live. There's so much more to it, I promise! 

Quoting Sailor_nena:

How so?

Quoting unspecified42:

I don't think you are following this conversation...

Quoting Sailor_nena:

I don't know where you're investing but we make much more than that lol

Quoting unspecified42:

Exactly:) I get my thousands back. It's the $2.88 in interest over the year that I don't care about. It's weird to me that some people out so much energy into squeezing every penny out of life and don't just relax and enjoy things. Surprise money makes me happy:)

Quoting Sailor_nena:

It's just weird to me that people wouldn't choose more money over less money. Thousands of extra dollars invested in quality stocks isn't just a few bucks, lol. But whatever. Not my life.

Quoting unspecified42:

Because its my government and not an enemy? And a few bucks will make absolutely no difference to me. I have enough money that i dont need to wring every cent out of everything to be comfortable. I would save more money by eating out less or buying cheaper beer, but I just don't care that much. It would be a pain to set everything up, plus I like getting a refund because I always forget its coming and then have several thousand extra dollars all at once.

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Are you serious? Why not get those extra bucks a month and invest in stock or a savings account and make more? Why would you want less money and give the government instead of your family money?

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm not great at saving money, and I don't see why it's a bad thing to "give the government an interest free loan." I like getting a decent chunk back.

Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM
But why not invest it in something other than a savings account and make much more than a few dollars? Invest it. If all you'd make is an extra 2 bucks you're doing it wrong.

Quoting unspecified42:

Because my point was that the government isn't my nemesis, I would maaaaybe put it in a savings account that might make a few dollars, and you aren't me. I'm happy. Be happy. Get the hell over your money and live your live. There's so much more to it, I promise! 

Quoting Sailor_nena:

How so?

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Exactly:) I get my thousands back. It's the $2.88 in interest over the year that I don't care about. It's weird to me that some people out so much energy into squeezing every penny out of life and don't just relax and enjoy things. Surprise money makes me happy:)

Quoting Sailor_nena:

It's just weird to me that people wouldn't choose more money over less money. Thousands of extra dollars invested in quality stocks isn't just a few bucks, lol. But whatever. Not my life.

Quoting unspecified42:

Because its my government and not an enemy? And a few bucks will make absolutely no difference to me. I have enough money that i dont need to wring every cent out of everything to be comfortable. I would save more money by eating out less or buying cheaper beer, but I just don't care that much. It would be a pain to set everything up, plus I like getting a refund because I always forget its coming and then have several thousand extra dollars all at once.

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Are you serious? Why not get those extra bucks a month and invest in stock or a savings account and make more? Why would you want less money and give the government instead of your family money?

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm not great at saving money, and I don't see why it's a bad thing to "give the government an interest free loan." I like getting a decent chunk back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I'm pretty sure you're the one doing it wrong.

Quoting Sailor_nena:

But why not invest it in something other than a savings account and make much more than a few dollars? Invest it. If all you'd make is an extra 2 bucks you're doing it wrong.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

How so?

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CourtneyCS
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I could change my taxes so I get more per pay but I prefer to get a lump sum once a year. I am not good at saving money so this works out better for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM
What led you to such an unfounded conclusion?

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm pretty sure you're the one doing it wrong.

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

How so?

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Quoting unspecified42:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN