Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When should a minor be legally able to go to the doctor and get birth control without parents permission?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 137 Replies
Many people and many states believe (have laws) that a minor can seek medical care for sexually related issues (birth control, etc) before they are 18 without parental knowledge or consent.

If you agree with the first paragraph, at what age does it start? (16, 14, 12, 10, etc)?

ETA: here its 12. I think that's a good age. It might be older for abortions.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM
7 moms liked this
Once they start having consensual sex. Like it or not, when that minor decides to do an adult act they put themselves in a place to make adult decisions that should be their own (ie abortion)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM
So any age?

Quoting Anonymous:

Once they start having consensual sex. Like it or not, when that minor decides to do an adult act they put themselves in a place to make adult decisions that should be their own (ie abortion)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I personally say around 16. Much depends on maturity.
MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM
When my dd is 30 she can make those decisions for herself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MonkeyMommyNJ
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM

i would agree with 16.. a lot of teens cant go to thier parents.. but if i ever have a daughter (or even for my son) i would hope they feel comfortable coming to me first.. there are plenty of options that level headed adults can help guid scared teens towards.. and give the support they need... but if your parents are like mine.. well then i think you should be allowed to make your own decisions at 15 or 16.. shit i was out on my own by 17

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM
3 moms liked this
It's always theirs. Their bodies, their choice.
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM
I think 17 is a good age
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM
4 moms liked this
When they can rent an apartment and afford their own lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting Anonymous:

Playitagain
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am firm in my feelings it starts at 18 or when they graduate high school which ever is last, your deemed a minor for a reason. I think the horrible thing is that as parents we are still responsible for any medical bills should our teenage daughter get pregnant (and yes they can refuse to go on state medical or sometimes get turned down), but cannot make suggestions. The other thing is you cannot kick them out, you will get hit with Child Support if the state has to take them.

I know its not a popular thing, the way I feel however I have been there with my teenage daughter. I told her to come to me about birth control, tried bringing it up at her doctors, everything. Some kids are mature enough to handle things, however I also know lots who are not.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)