Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Baby gasping for air help? *update*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My baby has had a barking cough all day. He's sleeping now and he will cough then gasp for air. It's like a wraspy gasp if that makes sense. He does it then he's fine for a while but then he will do it again.

Update: last night I took him outside for 5 minutes and it didn't seem to help. I steamed up the bathroom and it didn't seem to help. I have him some water again it didn't help. I went and cleaned out my car so we could go. I came back and his breathing was clear again. So I decided to put him back to sleep. He slept until 9am when his breathing got bad again. I took him to the doctor this afternoon and he listened to his chest and he said it was clear. He suggested I use a humidifier (bought one) and some tylonal. I wasn't to happy that he didn't even take his temperature nor blinked an eye when I said he couldn't breath last night but I figured if his chest was clear it wasn't serious. I went out and bought a humidifier, Vicks vapour rub and some tylonal. Hopefully my baby boy will better soon.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
deepthinker
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Why do people come online if they feel their child is in a dangerous situation?

Wouldn't common sense tell you to take the child to the ER... I swear people should have to take an IQ test before they have kids.

hopeym23
by J3 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I already posted but seriously wondering if you are going to take this child in to the doctor or not?

cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
sounds like RSV my son was in the ICU for a week because of it. The dr's said it's been hitting kids hard this year. Take him to the ER
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
get off the internet. Go to er. wtf.
botticelli
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

barking cough = Croup    Get off the fucking computer and take your baby to the ER NOW!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

That's whopping cough, aka croup.

You need to take little one in.
Breathing treatments are your friend right now!
KlingyMomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Trust Mommy intuition. If you think he needs to go to the ER, take him. If not, I recommended turning your shower on hot full blast and sitting in the steaming bathroom for 15 mins or so. I did that with my son every couple hours one night a few weeks ago. Helped greatly. Also Vicksburg vapor rub =) hope he feels better soon!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

its always more serious in babies. I am asthmatic and I cough when having a attack. you going to wait for him to die to get medical help. get him checked as in yesterday. you never mess with a baby that doesn't breath wether it is rsv, asthma, whooping cough or anything else.

Quoting Anonymous:

He only does it for a second every hour. When I have a cough the same thing happens I'm just not sure if because he is a baby if its more serious.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

911 mom sounds like asthma or rsv. what the hell are you doing on the computer if he is doing this

brandybasenberg
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Its croup. Take him outside in the cool air is what the doctor told me when my son had it. It scared the crap out of me
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM

It's probably croup.  Try the shower, run the shower at full hot water for a few minutes, and sit in the bathroom with your baby.

That will help.

And if it doesn't, you can visit your doctor/er/urgent care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)