Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found mold in my apartment *pics*

Posted by   + Show Post

Went to plug in my phone on my nightstand and noticed a black spot...  I'm like WTF? So I moved my nightstand and the entire wall behind my bed has these random mold spots!  

Of course I want to bleach the mess out of the walls and clean it up, but, my bed is SUPER heavy and I can't lift it right now, so it will have to wait until morning.  So now I have questions for you all:

First off I'm clean and I prohibit drinks on my night stand unless its a closed bottle of water (long story), I also live extremely close to the beach.  Do you think the beach is the reason I have the mold?  My house is extremely clean so I can't imagine why the mold is there...  What should I clean it up with?  Should I not clean it up and have my land lord come over?  Just tell me what I need to know about mold :(  

Here are a few pics.  This is of the corner next to where I plug in my phone, the second one is another spot next to the area.  It sort of follows a random chain like this behind my bed :( 


LOL as you can see I vacuum quite often there isn't even dust on that ledge.  I can't understand how I've missed this.  I guess I never thought about looking for mold on walls.  Now I want to go tear apart my DS's room :( 








                                              You know you want it

 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I'm not waiting until the AM, I'm sending an email right NOW.  

Also, what the heck do I clean it with that won't damage the paint and won't add to the mold issue? (like getting it wet with cleaner, will that be an issue?)

Quoting NBean311:

Notify your landlord first thing in the morning. It isn't a cleanliness issue, so it is either environmental, or something within the building. They need to clean it up and find the source ASAP, especially with black mold, as prolonged exposure can be harmful to your health.









                                              You know you want it

 

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I would contact the landlord before cleaning anything. Then clean it with bleach. But the problem may be deeper than than the surface. Please be careful, black mold is very toxic. I would honestly be looking for a new place to.live and anything that can't be washed down should be thrown out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Quoting .betty.white.:


most likely that mold was there before you and got painted over just before you moved in.

I'd take it up with the landlord definitely.
If it's black mold and obvious that he knew and covered it up, he may have to pay for you to move elsewhere. I'd look up the laws for your location.
Emmasmommy52212
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Looks like black mold. Get your landlord in there ASAP. Black mold is the most dangerous kind of mold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't try to clean it until the landlord has seen it. Its really common on coastal areas, it's not you!
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

omg that is awful.  

Will the land lord move my bed for me??  LOL.  The freaking thing weighs like 400 lbs.  Its the mattress.  Its a memory foam type and its so heavy!

Quoting etsmom:

Talk to your landlord so that they are aware. You may be able to take care of some of it with bleach wash, but there could be a larger problem and bleach will only take care of the surface. It could be in the dry which would have to be replaced.










                                              You know you want it

 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this
There was black mold like that in the house my ex & I used to live in. It was all over in the basement and on the ceiling in the bathroom above the shower. I had to clean it pretty regularly and I used Rubbermaid Mildew Remover. Was the only thing that worked. Good luck!
MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM
You need to go to the landlord. It is possible it's inside the walls and simply cleaning it won't do anything.

I lived in an apartment and we discovered mold. We told the landlord and he tried to tell us it wasn't mold. He wouldn't do anything. We had to contact housing enforcement and an inspector came out. There was mold growing inside the walls. After a consultation with a lawyer (we had been getting sick more often and learned that it was most likely the mold), the landlord finally got professionals out there. They had to rip open the walls.

So, yeah.. Might wanna make sure it's not growing anywhere else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SadeAyosmom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM

shit bleach it and get some of theose mold soaker things.

you know they suck up excess moister in the air. put them in the room

2.b.con.10.Ud
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM
That could make you seriously ill over time. Contact the landlord. Yes, bleach can be used to clean it up. (Using a mask, and gloves) However, someone else should clean it for you. For all you know, the whole wall may have mold under the paint.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)