Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just found mold in my apartment *pics*

Posted by   + Show Post

Went to plug in my phone on my nightstand and noticed a black spot...  I'm like WTF? So I moved my nightstand and the entire wall behind my bed has these random mold spots!  

Of course I want to bleach the mess out of the walls and clean it up, but, my bed is SUPER heavy and I can't lift it right now, so it will have to wait until morning.  So now I have questions for you all:

First off I'm clean and I prohibit drinks on my night stand unless its a closed bottle of water (long story), I also live extremely close to the beach.  Do you think the beach is the reason I have the mold?  My house is extremely clean so I can't imagine why the mold is there...  What should I clean it up with?  Should I not clean it up and have my land lord come over?  Just tell me what I need to know about mold :(  

Here are a few pics.  This is of the corner next to where I plug in my phone, the second one is another spot next to the area.  It sort of follows a random chain like this behind my bed :( 


LOL as you can see I vacuum quite often there isn't even dust on that ledge.  I can't understand how I've missed this.  I guess I never thought about looking for mold on walls.  Now I want to go tear apart my DS's room :( 








                                              You know you want it

 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
etsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

lol, I don't know if he will move the bed for you, but he might help you. I am sorry for your mold problem, it really does suck.

Quoting .betty.white.:

omg that is awful.  

Will the land lord move my bed for me??  LOL.  The freaking thing weighs like 400 lbs.  Its the mattress.  Its a memory foam type and its so heavy!

Quoting etsmom:

Talk to your landlord so that they are aware. You may be able to take care of some of it with bleach wash, but there could be a larger problem and bleach will only take care of the surface. It could be in the dry which would have to be replaced.




Speak Softly and Sweetly; Later You May Have To Eat Your Own Words
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM
It could be coming from inside the wall. But it can also be from poor ventilation of steam from showers or humidifiers. It grows fast too so it may have only been there a week
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I fully intend to move ds's bed and furnature agains the walls and check as well as the furnature in the living room.  I'll update tomorrow with land lord reply and if I find any more. 

Quoting MommyOfOne2710:

You need to go to the landlord. It is possible it's inside the walls and simply cleaning it won't do anything.

I lived in an apartment and we discovered mold. We told the landlord and he tried to tell us it wasn't mold. He wouldn't do anything. We had to contact housing enforcement and an inspector came out. There was mold growing inside the walls. After a consultation with a lawyer (we had been getting sick more often and learned that it was most likely the mold), the landlord finally got professionals out there. They had to rip open the walls.

So, yeah.. Might wanna make sure it's not growing anywhere else.









                                              You know you want it

 

blondie.mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
It is the beach I bet. We have lived at the beach for 3 years now, and both places we've lived in have had mold issues around the windows and on walls that are connected to outside. For us it is because of the extra moisture and salt in the air, as well as all the rain. Most places around here will just paint over it, and not with the good paint that kills and repels mold either. We just use a dehumidifier 24/7 and we don't have a problem anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Don't clean it! Don't do anything to it. You could release the mold spores into the air and cause more problems.
It needs a professional evaluation and removal.
The elemantary school back home just got shut down because of this stuff. It's no joke.
pampire
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

It's probably mildew rather than actual mold.  It happens when the wall (or whatever surface) is damp for too long. Your level of cleanliness is not a factor.  Being near the water mean the air is damper than it would be farther inland.  Mildew can establish itself anywhere there isn't sufficient air circulation to keep things dry. It's a big issue where I live.

Let the landlord know.  He can check to make sure there isn't any other proximate cause (like leaky pipes) and propose a clean up and prevention plan.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM
A bleach solution will probably take it off the surface, but black mold penetrates the drywall. They may have to cut it out of the wall and patch it. Sucks.

Also, not to scare you, but Google the symptoms of black mold sickness. Does anyone in the house have asthma or allergies?

Quoting .betty.white.:

I'm not waiting until the AM, I'm sending an email right NOW.  

Also, what the heck do I clean it with that won't damage the paint and won't add to the mold issue? (like getting it wet with cleaner, will that be an issue?)

Quoting NBean311:

Notify your landlord first thing in the morning. It isn't a cleanliness issue, so it is either environmental, or something within the building. They need to clean it up and find the source ASAP, especially with black mold, as prolonged exposure can be harmful to your health.


.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Is there a way to check for that?  The mold under the paint??

Quoting 2.b.con.10.Ud:

That could make you seriously ill over time. Contact the landlord. Yes, bleach can be used to clean it up. (Using a mask, and gloves) However, someone else should clean it for you. For all you know, the whole wall may have mold under the paint.









                                              You know you want it

 

mstkn.identity
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM
I'd call your landlord ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM


Quoting Anonymous:

A bleach solution will probably take it off the surface, but black mold penetrates the drywall. They may have to cut it out of the wall and patch it. Sucks.

Also, not to scare you, but Google the symptoms of black mold sickness. Does anyone in the house have asthma or allergies?

Quoting .betty.white.:

I'm not waiting until the AM, I'm sending an email right NOW.  

Also, what the heck do I clean it with that won't damage the paint and won't add to the mold issue? (like getting it wet with cleaner, will that be an issue?)

Quoting NBean311:

Notify your landlord first thing in the morning. It isn't a cleanliness issue, so it is either environmental, or something within the building. They need to clean it up and find the source ASAP, especially with black mold, as prolonged exposure can be harmful to your health.


DS had asthma bad the first two years of his life but its been gone this last year :(  Oh no.








                                              You know you want it

 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)



Featured