Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found mold in my apartment *pics*

Posted by   + Show Post

Went to plug in my phone on my nightstand and noticed a black spot...  I'm like WTF? So I moved my nightstand and the entire wall behind my bed has these random mold spots!  

Of course I want to bleach the mess out of the walls and clean it up, but, my bed is SUPER heavy and I can't lift it right now, so it will have to wait until morning.  So now I have questions for you all:

First off I'm clean and I prohibit drinks on my night stand unless its a closed bottle of water (long story), I also live extremely close to the beach.  Do you think the beach is the reason I have the mold?  My house is extremely clean so I can't imagine why the mold is there...  What should I clean it up with?  Should I not clean it up and have my land lord come over?  Just tell me what I need to know about mold :(  

Here are a few pics.  This is of the corner next to where I plug in my phone, the second one is another spot next to the area.  It sort of follows a random chain like this behind my bed :( 

LOL as you can see I vacuum quite often there isn't even dust on that ledge.  I can't understand how I've missed this.  I guess I never thought about looking for mold on walls.  Now I want to go tear apart my DS's room :( 

You know you want it

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Don't panic if he's not showing any signs of trouble, but do take this seriously. I lived in a house with mold (we didn't know, it was in the walls) and it triggered a near fatal asthma attack, I spent a few days in an induced coma because of it. Just educate yourself. :)

Quoting .betty.white.:

Quoting Anonymous:

A bleach solution will probably take it off the surface, but black mold penetrates the drywall. They may have to cut it out of the wall and patch it. Sucks.

Also, not to scare you, but Google the symptoms of black mold sickness. Does anyone in the house have asthma or allergies?

Quoting .betty.white.:

I'm not waiting until the AM, I'm sending an email right NOW.  

Also, what the heck do I clean it with that won't damage the paint and won't add to the mold issue? (like getting it wet with cleaner, will that be an issue?)

Quoting NBean311:

Notify your landlord first thing in the morning. It isn't a cleanliness issue, so it is either environmental, or something within the building. They need to clean it up and find the source ASAP, especially with black mold, as prolonged exposure can be harmful to your health.

DS had asthma bad the first two years of his life but its been gone this last year :(  Oh no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM
It will eventually seep through the paint.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Is there a way to check for that?  The mold under the paint??

Quoting 2.b.con.10.Ud:

That could make you seriously ill over time. Contact the landlord. Yes, bleach can be used to clean it up. (Using a mask, and gloves) However, someone else should clean it for you. For all you know, the whole wall may have mold under the paint.

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM
It's really easy to miss mold... It's everywhere! Literally its everywhere(even the air... That's one way the spores travel). You can have the cleanest house in the world and still get mold. It likes damp, dark, cool areas... Behind furniture, under furniture, under carpeting, behind walls... It's everywhere you typically don't look. Get a dehumidifier(you can get then cheap in secondhand stores) and wash the areas that have mold growing with a cup of bleach per gallon of water. My grandma's house is like that... You can't tell anything is going on until you pull back the dresser or bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OneTiredMama86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

One of my old places we got mold all the time, I had a slum lord so it was a bunch of bs. however I found that the more moisture and less ventilation in the place makes it more of an issue. you said you live by a beach could be excess moisture in the air and stuff being close to walls that it just sits there. I would first call the landlord. document every time new mold appears. if your landlord wont do anything contact the red cross about it.

Also try a dehumidifier to take extra moisture out of the air and move stuff away from the wall just a little so it can vent. But make your landlord come see it.

2.b.con.10.Ud
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Remove the paint, with a scraper. You can find them at Home Depot, or whatever you have there.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Is there a way to check for that?  The mold under the paint??

Quoting 2.b.con.10.Ud:

That could make you seriously ill over time. Contact the landlord. Yes, bleach can be used to clean it up. (Using a mask, and gloves) However, someone else should clean it for you. For all you know, the whole wall may have mold under the paint.

ShelMama
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM
I would be contacting the apartment managers and making them take care of it immediately. If they don't, call your city hall and tell them. Apartments have strict ordinances to follow and if they don't they could get in lots of trouble. Call the manager first and say--before I call the city...and they should come and properly get rid of it!!! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Ok girls, message sent to my land lord!  I'll let everyone knows if they are interested in it what happens.  Wish me good luck.

2.b.con.10.Ud
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Take pictures. Hope your landlord helps you.
So sorry, that sucks.
bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM

You need to stop everything and not sleep in that room for tonight.

I can't tell if it the texturing from the wall or not, but is the wall bubbling?  Or does it appear to be surface mold?  Mold can appear on walls in apartments just because of steam from like showers can cause excess moisture because the spaces are so small.  When I take a hot shower and I live in a 827 sq foot apartment (I think) all the windows steam up lol

DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT let the landlord/management get away with adding that anti-mold shit to the paint and painting over it and telling you it will solve the problem.  We had that issue in our old apartments (mind you they are not cheap apartments either, I think we paid $1400 a month for a 2 bedroom in SoCal just blocks from the beach).  The owners swore the paint additive would help.  I am really allergic and finally after 2 rounds of the paint shit I told them if they didn't figure out the issue I was going to sue them for my health costs.  I ended up having to go through the city and getting them for code violations.  Come to find out, they were in the process of selling the place!  They didn't want to spend a penny more than they had to.  Long story short, there was a slow pipe leak in the wall.  The drywall, studs, and even a window in my apartment needed replaced.   The new owners were awesome and paid to have all our stuff moved to another apartments (a 3 bedroom) for the rest of our 2 year lease next to the pool and threw an extra garage for free.

We ended up moving because we needed to be closer to where I wanted my son to go to school.

bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

DO NOT clean it on your own!!!  In some places, if you clean it you take responsibility!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)