Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found mold in my apartment *pics*

Posted by   + Show Post

Went to plug in my phone on my nightstand and noticed a black spot...  I'm like WTF? So I moved my nightstand and the entire wall behind my bed has these random mold spots!  

Of course I want to bleach the mess out of the walls and clean it up, but, my bed is SUPER heavy and I can't lift it right now, so it will have to wait until morning.  So now I have questions for you all:

First off I'm clean and I prohibit drinks on my night stand unless its a closed bottle of water (long story), I also live extremely close to the beach.  Do you think the beach is the reason I have the mold?  My house is extremely clean so I can't imagine why the mold is there...  What should I clean it up with?  Should I not clean it up and have my land lord come over?  Just tell me what I need to know about mold :(  

Here are a few pics.  This is of the corner next to where I plug in my phone, the second one is another spot next to the area.  It sort of follows a random chain like this behind my bed :( 

LOL as you can see I vacuum quite often there isn't even dust on that ledge.  I can't understand how I've missed this.  I guess I never thought about looking for mold on walls.  Now I want to go tear apart my DS's room :( 

You know you want it

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Ok I sent the LL an email with the attached pics tonight asking him what I was to do (clean it or have him come out?).  I'm gonna wait for him.  I'm seriously hoping that its just because I live right next to the beach :/  I really hope a pipe didn't break open and thats why the wall is molding.  Serious fingers crossed right now.  

Quoting bellawomen:

DO NOT clean it on your own!!!  In some places, if you clean it you take responsibility!

You know you want it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM

We just recently moved out of a house with black mold all over it, my son had terrible lung issues, we were always sick, it was terrible, I was actually starting to have female problems!! Now that we are in a better home, its all starting to get better! Please contact your landlord and get him to get rid of hit, it can cause horrible health issues!

bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I have lived near the beach for the last 9 years and have never had a mold issue except when our pipe was burst.  We even rented a cottage on The Strand (aka on the sand) and never had mold there.

If it is molding behind your nightstand because you are near the beach, I guarantee you need to move your bed because its going to be nasty fast.  Not to mention all of that moisture is going to get into your bed.  EEK.  That said...I have never had such issues or heard of such issues :)  Most issues near the beach are from the salt in the air getting to metal and discoloring/rusting it fast.

Quoting .betty.white.:

Ok I sent the LL an email with the attached pics tonight asking him what I was to do (clean it or have him come out?).  I'm gonna wait for him.  I'm seriously hoping that its just because I live right next to the beach :/  I really hope a pipe didn't break open and thats why the wall is molding.  Serious fingers crossed right now.  

Quoting bellawomen:

DO NOT clean it on your own!!!  In some places, if you clean it you take responsibility!

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM

How damp is your house?  Do you have good airflow?  Do you use the AC regularly? 

Is your roof leaking?  (Any spots on the ceiling).  You need to get this fixed and solve the water problem.  It can cause health issues later. 

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Um...  I don't know how to answer 'how damp is your house' my house is never damp or humid if that answers it.  I never have had any issues.  Its just a regular home. 

I'm in NorCal so no need for AC

I havn't noticed a single spot on the roof so I doubt that is it.

Quoting TranquilMind:

How damp is your house?  Do you have good airflow?  Do you use the AC regularly? 

Is your roof leaking?  (Any spots on the ceiling).  You need to get this fixed and solve the water problem.  It can cause health issues later. 

You know you want it

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Well, I guess one good way to answer that question is to ask if you always use the vent fans until all the moisture is gone in the showers (and if they vent to the outside)? Or open windows after showers.   Lots of people don't and their homes are damper. 

Quoting .betty.white.:

Um...  I don't know how to answer 'how damp is your house' my house is never damp or humid if that answers it.  I never have had any issues.  Its just a regular home. 

I'm in NorCal so no need for AC

I havn't noticed a single spot on the roof so I doubt that is it.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Yep, my sons asthma was getting that bad, he was on nebulizer treatments, and coughed all the time! Thank goodness we got out of that house!

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't panic if he's not showing any signs of trouble, but do take this seriously. I lived in a house with mold (we didn't know, it was in the walls) and it triggered a near fatal asthma attack, I spent a few days in an induced coma because of it. Just educate yourself. :)

Quoting .betty.white.:

Quoting Anonymous:

A bleach solution will probably take it off the surface, but black mold penetrates the drywall. They may have to cut it out of the wall and patch it. Sucks.

Also, not to scare you, but Google the symptoms of black mold sickness. Does anyone in the house have asthma or allergies?

Quoting .betty.white.:

I'm not waiting until the AM, I'm sending an email right NOW.  

Also, what the heck do I clean it with that won't damage the paint and won't add to the mold issue? (like getting it wet with cleaner, will that be an issue?)

Quoting NBean311:

Notify your landlord first thing in the morning. It isn't a cleanliness issue, so it is either environmental, or something within the building. They need to clean it up and find the source ASAP, especially with black mold, as prolonged exposure can be harmful to your health.

DS had asthma bad the first two years of his life but its been gone this last year :(  Oh no.

mom2camy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:04 AM
It may just be mildew, mold is usually green in color unless it is black mold. Before I was married I was an AGM of a hotel on the beach and fighting mildew was a constant battle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:06 AM

If you do bleach it wear a mask.  I would leave it alone and just call the landlord so that they can check for leaks.

britishmummy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Dehumidify!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)