Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just found mold in my apartment *pics*

Posted by   + Show Post

Went to plug in my phone on my nightstand and noticed a black spot...  I'm like WTF? So I moved my nightstand and the entire wall behind my bed has these random mold spots!  

Of course I want to bleach the mess out of the walls and clean it up, but, my bed is SUPER heavy and I can't lift it right now, so it will have to wait until morning.  So now I have questions for you all:

First off I'm clean and I prohibit drinks on my night stand unless its a closed bottle of water (long story), I also live extremely close to the beach.  Do you think the beach is the reason I have the mold?  My house is extremely clean so I can't imagine why the mold is there...  What should I clean it up with?  Should I not clean it up and have my land lord come over?  Just tell me what I need to know about mold :(  

Here are a few pics.  This is of the corner next to where I plug in my phone, the second one is another spot next to the area.  It sort of follows a random chain like this behind my bed :( 

LOL as you can see I vacuum quite often there isn't even dust on that ledge.  I can't understand how I've missed this.  I guess I never thought about looking for mold on walls.  Now I want to go tear apart my DS's room :( 

You know you want it

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (61-65):
2.b.con.10.Ud
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Hope they get back you soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Wow please talk to the landlord...they will have to look at it and get it fixed right away.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM

=(

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

BE CAREFUL!!!!! It can make you very sick. I had to have an entire new ventilation system put into my home because the bad air flow was causes mold spores to grow literally everywhere. Under my carpet, window seals, even in the heating vents. It was aweful and cost over $5000 to irraticate it from my home.

WarriorMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Do you open your windows, even a little bit while you sleep or during the day to air out your house? Condensation can cause this in a badly ventilated room.

You can  clean it with a bleach solution followed by running a de-humidifier to dry it out completely with a follow up of better ventilation. I would also advice you to move your bed out from the wall. Check you bed frame also, especially if it is wooden.

Another solution is go to your local DIY store and ask for 'fungal paint'. It will kill the fungus and paint your wall at the same time.
No matter what you do to get rid of it, it will come back time and time again if you do not open a window to ventilate the room correctly.

I have some tenants who don't open their windows and have this problem. As a result, I have clauses in their tenancies that they either use the window vents, heat the house or air it out on a regular basis to prevent the problem, if they don't, they paid for the costs of rectifying the problem or they loose their deposit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured