Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would You Leave Your SO and DS for Five Months to go on an Adventure - EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DD is graduating high school next year and wants to take a gap year before starting college. She has asked me to hike the Appalachian Trail with her. I want to go so badly and my DH is supportive. But it will take us five months, leaving DH and our DS (age 10) home alone. Do you think the benefits outweigh the hardship of separation?

EDIT:  Wow!  Thanks for those who gave such encouraging responses!  To those who expressed concerns, they are valid.  I struggle with leaving my boys for such a long time.  I wanted to clarify that my DS is 10 now but will be 12 when we make the trip.  We are in a unique situation as we are living overseas.  Our home is in the US (our property backs up to the AT) but we are currently living in Africa so when we do our hike we will be literally on the other side of the world from DH and DS.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Did you mean DD graduated?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Quoting TSNDDY:

Thanks! Yes, my mistake. DD will be graduating next year - summer 2014.
addiecakesmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's for a good experience. Some parents get deployed and don't see their kids for a longer time than 5 months. It will be good for you and your oldest.
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM
This.
And it would be a major experience - talk to your son, see how he honestly feels.

Quoting TSNDDY:

kblossom20
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Yes, you should go for it! It'll be a beautiful experience. Dh & Ds will be fine without you there for that little while. It's not like you're leaving a baby. You should live it up and go! :)
pampire
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Completely worth it.  That is something that you and your she will cherish forever.  Your younger son is at a great age to have some special bonding time with dad too.  I think it's a win all around.  You can do something similar with him when he graduates.

PepperWillow
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not leave one child to go off with the other for that long.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk thats a long time away from ur ds I wouldnt be able to but its your life if you think your dh can handle things alone go.for it.
lalaboosh
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM
3 moms liked this
I'd go, he's not a baby.
Fatal_Frost
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Probably not with a 10yr old at home... but maybe when the 10yr old was older and able to deal better with a long separation... 14+ I'd probably seriously consider it...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)