Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Caught my 11yo texting at 11pm

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
When I scrolled through her messages she told her aunt that I allow her to text till 1 am even though the FIRST rule I set in place was no texting after bed time. We discussed the rules of usage when she got the phone but now I want to write up a contract which she has to read and sign. Hoping you ladies can help me refine my list.

So far I have...

Rules for phone/texting

1. No incoming phone calls after 7:30 (baby sis's bed time)
2. No texting or talking after 8:30 (DD's bed time on weekdays)
3. All devices are to be put in mom's room at 8:30 on school nights, 9:30 on weekends
4. No deleting conversations, messages, call logs, etc.
5. No lying, bullying, cursing, gossiping or any other inappropriate conversations
6. No sending or receiving of any inappropriate photos including nudity (full or partial), insulting content, curse words, or anything intended to demean another person

Punishments will include loss of phone time, suspension of texting, early cut off times (depending on the infraction).

Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I did not put many rules on my daughters phone (she is 10), did not want to make it forbidden.  She hardly ever uses it anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:13 AM
You can't really control #1... What if her friends call her? She can tell them no calling but what if they don't listen? Will SHE be punished for that?

Other than that I guess it looks fine.
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I hope you are not counting on her to not delete messages. Do you have a back up to keep track of her texts and pictures taken?  

HisLove18
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:15 AM
That's what I was thinking about the incoming call's.. Everyone knows to stop calling me at 1230 when i get home from work yet they still call at 1 or 2 in the morning.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can't really control #1... What if her friends call her? She can tell them no calling but what if they don't listen? Will SHE be punished for that?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:17 AM
With our land line I told her to tell her friends not to call after 7:30. If they do DH or I will answer and explain she can not receive calls after 7:30. Or we just don't answer. With the cell she is to silence it at 7:30 and not answer incoming calls. I guess I should add that in the contract as well though, just so there is no confusion.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:17 AM
HA! I remember being a kid with a cell with a bunch of rules... I deleted messages and all that. Never got caught.

Good luck mom.
cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:19 AM

I think it sounds fine...and if her friends are told not to call after a certain time and the phone is put into your room and turned off,even if they still call she won't recieve the call. There are progrmas I heard others on here mention I think where you can keep track of all her phone calls and texts etc... not just the phone numbers but,actually what is said.Might be worth checking into.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:19 AM

This is exactly why I do not make a big deal out of it.  I have checked her texts quite a few times and never found anything except her using the word hell in a text to one of her friends.  I never even told her I saw it.

Quoting Anonymous:

HA! I remember being a kid with a cell with a bunch of rules... I deleted messages and all that. Never got caught.

Good luck mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Luckily she doesn't have a camera or web access but she can receive photos then forward them. Not sure how I can ensure she's not deleting things.

Quoting peachesforme:

I hope you are not counting on her to not delete messages. Do you have a back up to keep track of her texts and pictures taken?  

Danyell9301
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this

The only rules with my daughters new phone are

1. no calls after bed time

2. don't run out of minutes

3. if you can take care of, keep up with and not get it taken up at school.

Then I will add you to the family plan.

other than those she is free to use it. She is 11yr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)